drive unit / cabinet compatibility

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
would it be possible to use an 8inch fostex unit in place of a lowther pm2?
Only asking cos a freind gave me the lowther tp1 pdf and asked me about a build, but i dont think he could stand the price of the drivers.

Have you had a chance to fully analyze the complexity of the TP1? The "London" is, I gather somewhat less intimidating, but neither are a walk in the park, and I daresay that after accounting for materials and any type of profit on labor, the cost of the drivers might seem not so extreme after all.

At least that was my finding after building a pair of Tannoy Churchill "clones" a few years ago (they came to be knick-named the "Charities"), as well as more recently a couple of pairs of classic BLH for NOS Corals.

From the pictures, the Corals were gorgeous drivers, but the out of town client was so nervous about shipping them that I had to build from drawings and driver specs only, and never got a chance to dry fit the drivers, or hear the completed systems.

but to your actual question - IMHO, it's not likely that you could expect any of the current Fostex to drop into a 50 yr old design and yield results that would do justice to the complexity of build

Last edited:
Hmm, he only asked about a build and as for labour, he's done alot for me in the last few yrs and he is not the 'stand by and watch' type. ive only taken a quick look at the drawings and they dont seem so bad.
Material costs might be high, but a pair of £1,000 drivers and two small kids........ that could become even more costly at a sensational rate of knots.
If the drivers arent interchangable ill try and steer him in a different direction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.