Wide range surround speakers? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have projector with a DIY painted screen. As a result the front L and R speakers are widely separated and a middle speaker is necessary when I have several people sitting in a row since not everyone can sit in the 'sweet spot'. The middle speaker carries a lot of information, especially the vocals and having 3 speakers up front makes it work.

It just happens that I have a pair of commercial 2-way floorstanders for L and R, I'm sure a pair of full range speakers would have been suitable. But they would have to have good bass extension, certainly better than the 6 litre boxes I built which were designed to work down to 80Hz at best. My own experience is that I really enjoy having good LF response from the front speakers (and they are PMC MLTLs).

Pashley, to answer your question. Based on my limited experience, I don't recommend 'audiophile' drivers like the late lamented Fostex FE127 as they appear to me to need big boxes to provide any bass and in my boxes they are seem lacking for Home Theatre (IMHO). I'm about to try some 4" sized CSS EL-70 drivers for the surrounds, although the new CHR/P-70 from Mark Audio which are due out next month may be as good or better. I'll be trying them in something similar to the planet10 mMar-kel70 enclosure.

p.s. I would add that if I were listening to movies in a smaller space than an open basement, I'd would consider smaller speakers all around. I know one person has built a 5.1 system around my Martello speaker design which is a 3" driver in a 2 litre box.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 11th July 2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 20th July 2011, 07:21 PM   #12
theJman is offline theJman  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, if a 3" driver would suite your needs here's a very simple design that might work...
Old 15th November 2012, 10:23 AM   #13
Pashley is offline Pashley  Canada
diyAudio Member

Pioneer have an 8" full range, claimed response 39 - 16K Hz, 91 Db @ 1 W 1 m. Parts Express offer them for $14, less if you buy several.
GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW 292-430

The THX spec wants bipolar speakers for surround sound. Linkwitz says he uses single speakers pointed up, fine for music but not ideal for movies. Lots of people use ordinary full range or two-way boxes.

I'm thinking four of those Pioneers per box, wired series-parallel. One in front, one straight up, two on an angled back.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:27 PM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashley View Post
Pioneer have an 8" full range, claimed response 39 - 16K Hz, 91 Db @ 1 W 1 m. Parts Express offer them for $14, less if you buy several.
GRS 8FR-8 Full-Range 8" Speaker Pioneer Type B20FU20-51FW 292-430

The THX spec wants bipolar speakers for surround sound. Linkwitz says he uses single speakers pointed up, fine for music but not ideal for movies. Lots of people use ordinary full range or two-way boxes.

I'm thinking four of those Pioneers per box, wired series-parallel. One in front, one straight up, two on an angled back.
as well as this new driver might work for the application, note the qualification/disclaimer of "type" in the part number i.e. IINM this is not a "real" Pioneer

with as many drivers per box as you're envisioning, physically smaller drivers could very well work quite satisfactorily - I've got my own favorites, but you pick your own

if these are for the surrounds, just how large is the venue?
Old 27th November 2012, 10:29 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

the venue is an ordinary living room, not huge. i like those 8" drivers because they are cheap and fairly efficient. Probably i should look at smaller wide range drivers too. Suggestions?
Old 27th November 2012, 10:38 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quite apart from choice of driver, what do people think of the notion of using four wide-range drivers in a surround speaker?

I once heard Bose 901s carefully set up and with a good amp; they sounded awfully good to me, but so have various other systems and I am not even slightly tempted to use 901s for my main speakers. I think, though, that in surround speakers the direct/reflected mix might be ideal. THX seem to agree since they want diploe surrounds.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:04 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashley View Post
Quite apart from choice of driver, what do people think of the notion of using four wide-range drivers in a surround speaker?
I see no need for 4 drivers. you could get 2 drivers much better than the GRS (generally regarded as a poor substute for the well liked Pioneer BOFU)

Like the Splayed surrounds in this document http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10fr...dix-191209.pdf

The CHP70.2 should readily substitute for the CHR if you desire a paper cone solution.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!