Finished desktop tl (henkjan/juoiga) alpair 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished HENKJAN's design DESKTOP TL for the alpair 5, im using the ALPAIR 5 GREY.

I was able to finish it in 1 day, using glue and screw (its my first build and i want to take advantage of the holiday) :D

Its such wonderful sound. I feel no sub needed.

Thanks to HENKJAN & MARK

:cheers:
Henry

Hello Henkjan,

I was hoping that you would respond. I have a pair of Alpair 5, and would like to build your enclosure. However, my shelf is too short. Is there a way to make the enclosure shorter while keeping the bass output? Or am looking at a completely different design. Thanks.

so the max cab height would be just below 1 foot? how deep could it be? with a different 'fold' of the line, while keeping approx the same length and cross sections it will sound the same.

Depth is about 1 foot, so it would overhang the shelf quite a bit if the cross section and length remain the same. I was hoping that the length could be shortened and more stuffing added, but that might be a completely different design.

in theory lenght can be shortened by increasing the taper, but since it is already a strong taper I doubt if you'd gain much.

I was thinking more of a fold like this:
hh96_titel_mi.jpg

you could "play around" with MJK's allignment tables to see if you can make it fit somehow http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/163394-tl-alignment-tables-excel.html, maybe with a bit higher tune of the line you can make it fit.

No DC please

just use the volume knob with care...
.. and don't act as silly as I did. While I was evaluating my preamp ( DIYHiFi.org • View topic - Preamp for BSC and fs notch filtering ) for these speakers, I wanted to know how it sounds on a NAD 306. I had bad luck and ripped off one power supply rail of my breadboard. The resulting DC offset went directly into a power amp fed by +- 70 volts...:mad: ... a little bit too much for the poor alpairs.. how long half a second can last...

but mine did not pass this unfair stress test. While the right one still seems quite happy, the other suffered heavily. Voice coil is still alive, but the cone now rests in a position that allows you to get an idea of xmax as well as of the polarity of the evil DC bump. Music is reproduced with 9db loss.

Interestingly I can still use it at very low volumes enjoying its typical sound, but anything louder than a heavy mouse click will cause distortions...
A new pair has been ordered. I never believed that DIY is cost effective :eek:
Of course I will put the NAD. Only my low power tube amp will be allowed to feed them...
Cheers,
hassan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.