CHR/EL 70 cabinet decision - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2010, 10:15 AM   #11
Wavne is offline Wavne  Canada
diyAudio Member

By 'void' free, you mean knots and stuff? I'll have to go back and check how many plies the Birch has. I did find one store that had a 5x5 sheet of BB but I think I need more than that. Haven't received Dave's plans yet, but he said he was working on something. Everything here is closed tomorrow so I'll check on Saturday.
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

No, voids refer to voids in the plys i.e. missing or loose internal pieces etc.
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The MA drivers will be a better match to either of your amplifiers.

Both the MA drivers are capable of going quite low so 80 hz is a breeze. Relieved of anything below 80 Hz, they will play louder... still, a pair (or even quad) of drivers per side would let the drivers loaf more ...

dave
What you got in mind Dave ?
Old 3rd April 2010, 05:27 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have also been looking at building small bookshelf speakers, and the demise of the FE167 has made me look more carefully at the CHR70. Does anybody have an opinion on (or better yet listened to) the till-2 design from MA? Double drivers would help recover the sensitivity a bit and present a more gentle 8 ohm load, and given the CHR70 price this seems pretty attractive. Any chance for an 8-literish mini m-di-MA-onken?

-E
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:05 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavne View Post
By 'void' free, you mean knots and stuff?
Just got power back from being out all day, i'm playing catchup.

Void free means that any knots falling out etc have been filled so that there is wood instead of air.

I've gotta go down stairs and fire up the Mac with the plans on it before i can do get them and do a 1st pass at a cut plan.

dave
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:09 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer View Post
What you got in mind Dave ?
Mar-Kel70^2. Have the 1st pass drawn, need to detail, dimension, check for gotchas and do a cut plan. Should be room in the (optional) false bottom for a single Trio8 or SDX7 for support in the lowest octaves if desired (there is a Wavecor that i find interesting, a Danish manufacturer building some of Scott's & my designs turned us on to it)

Should look like a skinny Fonken167.

dave
Old 3rd April 2010, 06:13 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrence View Post
Any chance for an 8-literish mini m-di-MA-onken?
The good stuff starts here.

3 sets of betas total in the works.

dave
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:39 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The good stuff starts here.

3 sets of betas total in the works.

dave
Hi Dave,

I have been sort of following this other thread, but none of these dMar-Ken 'betas' are dual drivers, are they? I played around with WinISD a little last night (of which I am a total novice/idiot) but it appears that two CHR70s really prefer a sealed rather than a vented box in a smaller enclosure. There was always a 3db hump at around 100 Hz no matter where the port was tuned. I was wondering if this generally would sound OK, compensate for the slight low-frequency attenuation seen on the driver response curves, or whether stuffing a slotted port (aperiodic) would tame this to an acceptable level?

Thanks
Old 3rd April 2010, 05:04 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Mar-Kel70^2. Have the 1st pass drawn, need to detail, dimension, check for gotchas and do a cut plan. Should be room in the (optional) false bottom for a single Trio8 or SDX7 for support in the lowest octaves if desired (there is a Wavecor that i find interesting, a Danish manufacturer building some of Scott's & my designs turned us on to it)

Should look like a skinny Fonken167.

dave
Sounds quite nice. I'm definitely curious to see a 4 driver variant as I love fullrangers as well as some volume.
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:54 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrence View Post
but it appears that two CHR70s really prefer a sealed rather than a vented box in a smaller enclosure.
That is my feeling. 8-12 litre sealed for 2 drivers. I's tend toward the big end. A dMar-Ken70 would be in the 20 litrish size. Not hard tp come up with.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!