Anyone tried W5-1611SA in a sealed box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• P1010562KLEIN.jpg
    P1010562KLEIN.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 385
  • P1010562knipklein.jpg
    P1010562knipklein.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
The treble is a bit lacking. Compared to my fullrange [two way?] speakers I was missing a lot of details.

Thanks,
Have you heard this (the W5) compared to similar fullrange drive units? If so, which ones?
I currently have 90mm units, and the treble is quite lively. I wonder if a larger, heavier cone might not be as detailed at higher frequencies as a small cone.

Thanks,
Have you heard this (the W5) compared to similar fullrange drive units? If so, which ones?
I currently have 90mm units, and the treble is quite lively. I wonder if a larger, heavier cone might not be as detailed at higher frequencies as a small cone.

Woops! typo...My other speakers are 2.5 way mordaunt short 908i.
Not really expensive, but pretty good. Only because of the 3 speakers with large overlap, lobing is quit noticable. If you move your head left/right or up down, the sound changes a lot. But on the other hand, in the sweet spot they sound pretty good.

I'm considering replacing the tangbands for mark audio alpair 10's, to get rid of the supertweeter.
(the tangband are going in the enclosure Jorn proposed, but with a build in permanent rear or side firing tweet)

If I swap them for the alpairs, i'll inform you....
gr. Paul

Yes, bass and treble are both improved. Treble was almost enough. Maybe with a SS amp, it would be enough. My SE tube amp without gfb has a disadvantage there....
also the room has an influence here, I noticed a difference in performance in percieved high freq performance in my Alpair10 Conic horns depending on the room they were in, ranging from 'who needs tweeters anyway' to 'please remove the curtain'. In most rooms you'll find that the Alpair10 will perform very good, in some you might want to add a rear firing tweeter (as Paul did)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.