anyone get/analyze (stock Fostex) FE206En?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the risk of being controversial...

Acceleration factor Γ taken in meters per second per second per ampere comes out quite well for the new unit (working with the factory specs. as our baseline -Mark's testing of a pair of 127s seems to suggest that they may be more accurate than we thought; looks to depend on the gear)
FE206E = 770ms^2
FE206En = 872.95ms^2

Less controversially & FWIW:

The new unit with only about 53% of the linear displacement of the old one & the same cone size will be be somewhat more restricted in terms of dynamic BW.

Published EBP for both units is consistant with the claimed figures.

Fhm per Keele
FE206E = 454.245Hz
FE206En = 483.611Hz

Fhm per Leach et al
FE206E = 433.333Hz
FE206En = 463.917Hz

Last edited:
that would be nearly a 6dB dynamic penalty for the new driver if its qt went dramatically up past the 0.8mm xmax and within 206E's 1.5mm window and if 206E were linear within that window. Are there studies of dynamic compression or Dumax type examinations for common fullrange drivers? Could it be crudely estimated with examination of a brief wav of say a big odaiko drum beat compared with a recording of a speaker playing that wav?

won't hurt me - unless 206 universally sound crappy:D I"m going to go for 1.875 cubic foot external bulk Karlson coupler - the HF lobe will be tilted 30 degrees up. Do 206 breakup like 12" multi-rib cone guitar speakers? (I like those even on vocals) - do Nirvana's 8" speakers play better midrange than Fostex?

mounted it in a stock 1954 "Karlsonette" - impression of BIG & dynamic drum on "The Spirit of the Chinese Drum" - a lotta sound for 3.3 cubic foot external bulk - -oh - is it normal to have Fostex frame's corners flex when tightening down to a flat surface? I think I got the hole large enough (?)

front
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rear
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Actually, the numbers Freddi got are reasonably close to what I measured from the old 206's. This means that I will be able use the new 206 in my MLTL's and BR's. The 207 has a more laid back, mellow sound that I happen to like, particularly with an FT17H on top, but I kan work with the 206. The 206 really need a bit of series resistance, so I can use 20ga air core inductors instead of those 16ga Erse Super Q's.

I hope that the 166's come in well above spec on Q also.

Bob

mounted it in a stock 1954 "Karlsonette" - impression of BIG & dynamic drum on "The Spirit of the Chinese Drum" - a lotta sound for 3.3 cubic foot external bulk - -oh - is it normal to have Fostex frame's corners flex when tightening down to a flat surface? I think I got the hole large enough (?)

Freddy,

Have you had a chance to compare the Fostex 206 to your W8-1772 in the K-12?

Thanks

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the numbers Freddi got are reasonably close to what I measured from the old 206's.

Attached is the data i have from 16 FE206e.

Freddi, did you get Vas?

dave

Attachments

• fe206e-v-FE206En.gif
    fe206e-v-FE206En.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 406
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FE206 & FE166 have the highest variability of any of the drivers i have reasonably large sets of data to use.

Do keep in mind that this is 4 batches of 4 drivers measured on different days, The differences in weather can have a large affect. If i was to measure them all on the same day, i'd guess variation would fall in half.

The assetix should also say "naximum difference compared to average" -- (maximum value - minimum value) / average value

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.