My Ultimate Fostex FE206E Horn!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There's no such thing. Just different sets of compromises. You pick those that best suit your particular requirements and accept the fact that one universal perfection doesn't exist, in compound horns or anything else in this life. More's the pity, althogh it would probably make life less fun.

Scott, of course, I guess I worded that poorly. What I meant to ask simply out of curiosity was what was your favorite, or to your ears what was the best horn design for this or a similar driver.;)

I guess I'm more interested in learning the science behind it and making my own design than just emulating someone else's design just 'cause it works.

Yes, that is the beginning of most great designs, especially the ones that are revolutionary. Recently, with advanced modeling software (Martin King) really great designs are available or old designs are proven to be great (Fostex/Nagaoka). Having said the above nothing beats actually building, measuring, tweaking and listening to your own design. So, you are off to a great start. This goes without saying but the payoff is in the process. And you can listen to your music too. Good luck.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
for the (defunct) FE206E

Note that the primary North American Fostex distributor no longer has any FE206e. They are now shipping FE206En (not to be confused with the FE206eN i have been shipping for some 2 years now). Until we get some in the field measures we don't know how close the new driver is to the old one.

dave

Scott, of course, I guess I worded that poorly. What I meant to ask simply out of curiosity was what was your favorite, or to your ears what was the best horn design for this or a similar driver.;)

I dunno, and that's a fact. I've never really thought about it as I generally avoid terms like 'best', or comparisons between enclosures unless they are designed with exactly the same remit. And it will depends on room, requirements, amplifier, material, personal taste & so on. For e.g., I could say x sounded fantastic in y situation, but if you plonked it down in z situation, it may not work so well. There are a few very good enclosures out there, and no doubt more to come (the new 206En model should be close enough to work in boxes for the old 206E). YMMV as ever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.