Playing around with Fostex FF85K - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2010, 10:27 AM   #1
Leffler is offline Leffler  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Playing around with Fostex FF85K

First of all, thanks for putting all the info up on this forum! I read about quite a bit when selecting drivers for this project, I think a lot of people do as I did without actually posting anything, so thanks!

I ended up with a pair of Fostex FF85K, just for the fun of taking on a project.

Click the image to open in full size.

The goals are:
-To try a full range speaker and see what all the fuss is about.
-No passive cross over to mess things up.
-to use the full range/ no crossover idea as a basis for trying various constructions in a simple way.

The first box was the shipping carton from FedEx. Not too bad, actually! Very open sounding, although of course lean on bass. It sounded best as per below, open.

Second box is the original Fostex bass reflex, executed in 16mm MDF (to be veneered).

I am completing it in steps, however. First out without rear, and then closed. They both have their advantages, the open box sound more open, closed has better bass control. They both sound a bit "boxy" however (sounding just like you expect a small box), even though I have some felt damping in there. It helped tremendously adding my sub (velodyne DD-10) to the setup. Obviously small speakers sound small due to the lack of bass. The mid bass is still lacking however. (The sub is crossed over as low as possible, my regular speakers are -3db at 28hz, so the sub is setup to play basically 25hz and below). Crossed over at 80hz, the worst butterfly fluttering is avoided, and quite sufficient volumes are achieved.

By the way, I live in an apartment, so this also goes to prove that there are no excuses!

Next step is bass reflex. Fostex suggests two different lenghts, perfect for this kind of try-and-see project.

Before cutting the port however, I wanted to ask you how much difference it makes to put the port in the front or rear - what is the default from Fostex, they don't actually state which side the port is on? For esthetic reasons, I would prefer to put the port in the rear.

Coming installments in this epic tale of tinyness are:
-Building a pair of microFonkens (of course!)
-Restoring my vintage 2x10w tube Revox amp
-building a SE 6V6 amp from parts lying around
-building an active cross over, and an 8" "sub", preferably small and sealed, suitable for bedroom/ computer use. I have a few vintage 8" drivers in the attic.

So how does it sound so far?
Well, the drivers have less then 10 hours on them, and they sound very detailed, very full overtones, distorted guitars and trumpet spit are really coming out of theses boxes! However, they are also a bit too harsh in the top, I hope that will improve. The current boxes are also lacking in bass, not that it is not there at all, but the end result with the prominent high end is decidedly lean.
Old 19th March 2010, 08:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you want to try a vented enclosure that's really quick and easy (and perhaps better than a cardboard box), check out the Sprites I built for the FF85k:
The FF85K Sprite

I still can't believe how good they sounded for the cost and effort.

Cheers, Jim
Old 19th March 2010, 10:29 PM   #3
2litre is offline 2litre  United States
diyAudio Member

Leffler,

Please continue with your plan of action as it's nice and logical.
I for one will look forward to reading your impression at each stage.

So far it seems that you've tried the FedEx container and a sealed version of the Fostex recommended enclosure, correct?

R/
Jim
Old 20th March 2010, 12:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Bigger Is Better - BIB, Outdoor Speakers | Rock Speakers | Garden Speakers | Patio Speakers | In-Wall Speakers | Ceiling Speakers and more!

The link shown is a calculator to make the Bigger Is Better design from Terry Cain. I have used the calculator for Fe127e. At least sample the measurements for a cabinet it gives.

once you download the file, it loads into Excel or Open Office spread sheet equally well.

The design will be tall and thin and placing near wall corner will improve dynamics. The reason for this is that the back horn of the BIB is meant to expand using the corner of the wall.

Plus the build is easy and instructions are shown for it.
Old 20th March 2010, 01:27 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A BIB would be best inverted & straight. Might also want to consider the alternate Zd position.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif ff85-BIB.gif (4.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 20th March 2010, 01:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffler View Post
They both sound a bit "boxy" however (sounding just like you expect a small box), even though I have some felt damping in there.
I built some small enclosures for a set of Fostex FE-87E. I thought they sounded pretty boxy at first, but after more than a few weeks they seemed to really open up. Maybe your FF85K will improve with age.
Old 20th March 2010, 02:27 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My uFonken don't sound boxy... they do have FF85KeN, one of the things that seems to get lost with treatment is the ability to localize the driver.

dave
Old 20th March 2010, 06:26 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

in no way are the 2 pairs of uFonkens i've built sound boxy. i'm still amazed by the soundfield these cute little boxes can throw. they make my much larger ATC SCM12 monitors sound shut-in.

i have 4 more FF85K drivers in transit to chez fishski.
Old 20th March 2010, 07:16 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

That's three. The uFonken is one of the most remarkable little micro-monitors I've ever heard.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
My uFonken don't sound boxy... they do have FF85KeN, one of the things that seems to get lost with treatment is the ability to localize the driver.

dave
Track and trace helps <grin>

Hide this!Advertise here!