Alpair 10 Centre Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Can any one tell me why i couldn't use a single Alpair10 as a centre channel? I am thinking about building a complete new 5.1 setup using the Aplair10. I have a Sony 7.1 surround amp (STR-DG910). I am thinking about MLTL's for the Front L/R, Sealed for the surrounds and haven't decided on what box the centre will be..looking for advice here. I already have a Reckhorn sub amp and Tempest 15" in a 240l sealed box for the very bottom end. Will be about 70% HT, 30% music (all styles..) I have read a lot about centre channel designs and want to try and avoid multi speaker and crossover issues if i can. Have i missed something bad about single driver centres that i need to consider? I am looking into this beacause i am about to move into a new house. The new room is approx 4 metres by 5 metres, standard ceiling height, wooden floor.

Any input would be appreciated..

I use a single FE127E as a center channel speaker and it sounds fantastic in the waveguide assisted box. My whole 5.1 system consists of single full-range drivers (sans subs lol) namely FE126-7E. I see no reason like Dave said to not use the Alpair10, as a matter of fact it would be a pleasant change to see someone else attempt to do a full-range HT system. Good luck and jump in, Peace.

I've done one HT with full range drivers before and I think it worked out great. My buddy was getting married and I made him an entire setup for a wedding gift. He paid for parts and materials and I worked my butt off. I used CHR-70's for his back when the Alpair 10 and 12 wasn't available. He and his wife really like it.

CHR70%20111.jpg

Mar-Ken10 as HT speaker

I have noticed that my plans are getting more and more challenging + costly as I spent my time here...

I would like to pay a litle more about better sound, so I am considering Alpair 10 as a possible option for HT front speakers. Would Mar-Ken10 cabinet work well on that purpose? I will add subwoofer, so speakers don't need to go much below 80hz.

How you have built Alpair 10 speakers regarding filter, speaker element directly connected to amplifier or using some kind of filter in between?

when it comes to center channel isn't wide dispersion what one wants? isn't it a restriction on doing a center channel with a fullrange with no helping tweeter? one restriction that can directly bring one to prefer phantom channel?
(i'm just asking)

Hi H,
The new Markaudio Gen. 2 drivers have new cone profiles that illicit a wider dispersion. Personally, I try to avoid using a tweet in with an FR driver for the centre channel.

The info on the new Alpair 10 Gen 2 is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/158417-alpair-10-generation-2-sneak-peek.html

Cheers

Mark.

Mark,

With all due respect...
Please get back to making some more Alpair 7 drivers. I'm waiting patiently for Dan at Darcher Audio to acquire some :D

PS: If the drivers are not available in a timely manner (last week) then I will cave and purchase a pair of Alp12's. This will result in my demise via the significant other :judge: which will cause a loss in future sales to you! :ghost:

Last edited:
Patience will bring rewards. I'm in the final throws of checking everything ready for production. S

I'm in the final preparations for making the next batch of Alpair 7's. And as you may guess, it could be said the next batch of Alp7's are sort of Gen.2 model since they'll be 2 modifications. These are a bonded rubber cushion injected into the inner rim of the frame (see drawing) . This makes life much simpler when fitting the drivers into cabinets as the rubber is an in-built seal.

The second is a connector extension set making cable fitting much easier (see drawing). Solder your cable onto the extension copper connector, slide the block over the driver's connector and push-fit the newly soldered connector into said block. Should be so much easier and gives greater choice on cable diameters.

I'll be making CHR-70's (both colours), BB4-AL (German version of the CHR-70), CHP-70's for Germany, Tweeter No. 3's and Woofer No. 6's in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Phew........................

Cheers

Mark.

Attachments

• CHR70H_alps_overmold.jpg
    CHR70H_alps_overmold.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 657
  • chr70h_ext_shell.jpg
    chr70h_ext_shell.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 643
Mark,
PS: If the drivers are not available in a timely manner (last week) then I will cave and purchase a pair of Alp12's. This will result in my demise via the significant other :judge: which will cause a loss in future sales to you! :ghost:

Arrrrgh...... the "significant other", also known as the "trouble and strife" - blame me, I can take the heat!
You might want to ask Dave (Planet 10) about the Alp12's. He's run-in a pair on OB.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
I use a single FE127E as a center channel speaker and it sounds fantastic in the waveguide assisted box. My whole 5.1 system consists of single full-range drivers (sans subs lol) namely FE126-7E. I see no reason like Dave said to not use the Alpair10, as a matter of fact it would be a pleasant change to see someone else attempt to do a full-range HT system. Good luck and jump in, Peace.

Could you please post some info about this setup?
I'd like to build a system like that but I can't find a single webpage about a fullrange center :(

yes, he does need to get that done

The 10P makes for a very nice front row - floor stander L / R & "desktop" horizontal center. As Dave says, the design is simple and flexible enough that it should be able to be adjusted to suit to particular T/S parameters of any of the A10 series- well, based on my recollection the original generation might actually need a tweeter? .

I'm building an alpair fullrange to an existing design wich can be found here:Strassacker: Loudspeakerkits (DIY kits)

i heared the speaker from a friend who builded it as 5:1 setup, and he uses a sub + the Mark 4 design you can find on that site. The plans are visible without buying your stuff there if you look wel and understand some german, but i can give you the plan also (i suppose i can as it's free downloadable). it's a small bookshelf speaker wich sounds very good, and easy to build. i will amp it with a marantz amp for my stereo setup.

Attachments

• mark4_pdf.gif
    mark4_pdf.gif
    36.3 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.