Mpl

I am planning to build a loudspeaker that complements my MPP. I have build a preamp and Brianco is doing a poweramp so in the next month a system will be made of Phonoamp, Preamp, Poweramp and Speaker for DIY.
The speaker is based on a wideband unit in a baffle.
Under 80 Hz it will be complimented by a dipol woofer and over 7kHz there will be a horn loaded Ribbon.
The wideband driver got developped over a period of one year.
It has a classical paper cone and Alnico magnet.
I got the finished samples some days ago and did some measurements.
The driver is designed for very low distortion.
It is under 0.5% up to 100dB in 1m second harmonic. Thirs id under 0.1%.
Today i will post some measurements.
The driver is in a 90cm by 125cm baffle placed asymmetric due to golden cut.
I will pulish photos and drawings later.
Impedance is 6 Ohm Re and sensitivity is 96dB for 1W/ 1m.

Attachments

• MPL Wideband FRD.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,482
  • MPL Wideband Impedance.pdf
    5.9 KB · Views: 381
  • MPL Wideband Harmonic Distortion.pdf
    6.4 KB · Views: 387
Hello!

I can see typical nasty peak at around 3 kHz :(
Isn't there really any way to get rid of it? Not by means of ex post facto passive or active correction but by preventive measures? Are such peaks really unavoidable?

interesting what Hartley wrote in 1958:

It so happens that many loudspeakers have a resonance at about 3,000 cps because of defects in construction

Audio Design Handbook, page 12

A weak coil-cone joint usually gives a wellmarked peak between 2,000 and 4,000 cycles (usually at 3,000). This well-known fact is turned to good use in producing cheap speakers for cheap radios which have no real top; the peak at 3,000 gives a synthetic brightness to the reproduction.

Audio Design Handbook, page 153

best!
graaf

Last edited:
Hello!

I can see typical nasty peak at around 3 kHz :(
Isn't there really any way to get rid of it? Not by means of ex post facto passive or active correction but by preventive measures? Are such peaks really unavoidable?

interesting what Hartley wrote in 1958:

Audio Design Handbook, page 12

Audio Design Handbook, page 153

best!
graaf
You will not beleave it but 140 protos have being build over the years.
A version can be build without that peak. The version i have shown has the finished magnet system and membrane.
I also think the peak should go away because it is in the most sensitive area of human hearing. Other versions can be build that have more extended treble but for my profect i decided on an aditional tweeter so i will go with a variety of the shown driver.

I also think the peak should go away because it is in the most sensitive area of human hearing.

then why leave it? if "a version can be build without" it?

prohibitive costs? design-for-manufacturability considerations?

ribbon at 7 kHz and up would not help, even crossing at 3 kHz would not help :(
and we have been already sailing away from "Full Range" land into the waters of "Multi Way" :rolleyes:

50 years have passed, we presumably have all this hi-tech (from new materials to new measurements) unavailable to Hartley and His contemporaries and yet we can't fix those same old problems? :(

this is so disappointing :(

what is interesting speakers designed according to Hartley ideas are allegedly free from them
here is an example - Hartley speaker paired with a horn loaded ribbon filtered "6dB down at 10kHz and 12dB down at 5kHz":

Stereophile: Listening #37

yes, this example is outrageously overpriced, nevertheless the driver seems to be working according to the design principles 50 years old

so... then
why leave the peak?

all Hartley's patents expired long time ago, why not use it?

or ideas from Stewart Hegeman and others of "non-uniform asymmetric diaphragm treatment" or "differential wave impedance cone":
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/126234-8-inches-paper-cone-treatments-4.html#post2088939

or Weber Rehde's patents and so on

why not?

best regards!
graaf

Last edited:
50 years have passed, we presumably have all this hi-tech (from new materials to new measurements) unavailable to Hartley and His contemporaries and yet we can't fix those same old problems? :(

this is so disappointing :(

I couldn't agree more. And I don't understand this mystery any more than you do. I was simply amazed at how awful the expensive and inexpensive fullrange drivers sounded (Lowther, AER, Fostex, etc). I have no other word for it. Amazed. If a cone can't be driven above 90db without eardrum killing distortion around 1-4khz what good is it? No good at all!

Since I don't like the vague sound of contemporary multiway drivers and designs, I've decided there are only 2 possible avenues from here: DIY cone treatments to make the FR behave or buy a set of the large Bohlender Graebener units; both of which I plan to do.

Good Widebands are posible

We can make a wideband that is flat from 60Hz to 10kHz + - 2dB with 95dB efficiency at 8 Ohm.
Distortion in that driver is very low and linear over the whole response.
See some measurements i did with multitone.
The driver has a dynamic range of 70dB. Marker 1 and 2 show hum from the poweramp.
The best old drivers i measured had distortion much higher and not more then 60dB dynamic range. I also did an inverserse FFT from the hidden spectrum.
Noise in that driver is only 250nP. See again the 50 Hz component that does not come from the driver but is hum from the measurement amp.
I used an Alesis professional amp for this.

Attachments

• MPL Wideband Spectral Contamination.pdf
    6.6 KB · Views: 204
  • MPL Wideband Spectral Contamination Stimulus hidden.pdf
    6.5 KB · Views: 137
  • MPL Wideband Inverse FFT of Distortion Residuum in nP.pdf
    5.1 KB · Views: 144
Here is another version of the wideband. Are you more happy with that graaf ?

it certainly looks nicer :)

but it is hard to compare those two graphs (the previously posted and the second) and to draw any conclusions because of different scales, averaging etc. although I can see general similarity of both FR curves

We can make a wideband that is flat from 60Hz to 10kHz + - 2dB with 95dB efficiency at 8 Ohm.

+/- 2 dB certainly is impressive

in fact there are widebanders for OB, pretty flat and with low distortions (according to manufacturer's proclamations), more or less expensive, like PHY-HP or Visaton B200

there is bigger problem with fullrangers
I am looking for something with a decent headroom (which means 8 inches at least), free from any shouts (those "eardrum killing distortion around 1-4khz" as put by InclinedPlane few posts above) that would work nicely without a tweeter and be capable of providing at least some real, non-resonant bass, not necessarily down to 20-ies - some 40-ies in room would suffice :)
but without horns or any other refrigerator-sized cabinets, rather in a moderate-sized acoustic suspension
oh well ported could be also ok provided it is small like Rehdeko 115, no bigger

I do like OBs but I think that they are just impractical for most music lovers, it' s mostly question of their size and placement requirements
and multi-way OBs are complicated from DIY perspective, very difficult to tune all the elements in

I think that it is not coincidence that AR-1 - the first compact bookshelf speaker - was such an epoch-making product

Is there any chance for a fullranger without shouts that could work nicely in a compact box? and that would not cost a small fortune? Alnico not really necessary :)

currently I am tweaking Fostex FE206E, nice affordable driver with great tweaking potential, a widely known fact for sure :), but it is strictly a tweaker's speaker, it is just horrible out of the box and not really suited to the use in a compact enclosure:(
FE206E can be succesfully tweaked at home (using ideas similar to Hegeman's or Rehde's) but it would be great to have simply a driver with Fostex's problems fixed by means of all professional design instruments, measurements, standardization and so on :)
all measured and clearly audible, unlike in case of various "phase plugs" or "EnABLs" etc. the effects of which can hardly be measured not to mention to be consistently audible or at least rationally explained...

I had a dream ... :)

best regards!
graaf

Last edited:
Since I don't like the vague sound of contemporary multiway drivers and designs, I've decided there are only 2 possible avenues from here: DIY cone treatments to make the FR behave or buy a set of the large Bohlender Graebener units; both of which I plan to do.

but BG, even those largest, are just very big midtweeters - manufacturer's "network recommendations": 150Hz, minimum 12 dB/oct. electrical minimum"

You end up with multi-way speaker anyway

therefore "DIY cone treatments to make the FR behave" is the only way IMO
and more precisely - "8 inches paper cone treatments" as You already know :)

best,
graaf

To me one of the drawbacks of conventional cone
fullrangers and widebanders is, that with enough
tweaking they can be made reasonably flat on axis,
but this cannot go together with a flat power response.

Angular dispersion narrows with increasing frequency
reasonably continouus in the best case.
In the worst case there are several discontinuities in
angular dispersion dependent from frequency,
which will make the result very room dependent -
and prone to "sweet spot listening".

I'll give conventional full/wide range technology about a
decade to survive, at least in the high quality segment.

Arrays of integratively manufactured micro transducers,
developing DML and related designs will take over.
I do not say this to "downplay" the good results
presented here, but the more tweaking is done,
the more the limitations get clear also.

The popularity of vintage drivers, which are in many
cases competitive to recent products, is an indicator for
that too.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: