Mpl

I saw in another thread a discussion how reflective baffles can be used to advantage.
Lately I did somewhat the opposite of your experiment. I placed two absorptive baffles of 4 cm thick Basotect left and right from my listening position:
contralateral.jpg
Above 1kHz they (hopefully) kept all the contralateral and some of the ipsilateral reflections from my ears. It was very instructive to learn how those reflections can change the auditory scene.

This is one of the latest from Klippel :
http://www.klippel.de/uploads/media/KLIPPEL_Small_Loudspeakers_-_heyser_lecture_rome_AES_134th_.pdf
It is about small speakers but also applies to bigger drivers.

Very good techpaper , as always from German SpeakerGod KLIPPEL

at least one german who knows what he is doing - the other ones have no idea how to do it right , so every year a new speaker concept , to get a glimpse of what may be around the next corner .....

We are only in it for the money?

Gruss - Die Nadel im Heuhaufen :)

Hi Jochim . I noticed in item 23 the test unit was high up and I suspect offset a little . Sorry I have not followed all the thread so I am asking you to repeat yourself . Could it begin to work so high up ( 80 Hz ) . I will be doing this with a pair of Eminence 12LTA soon and couldn't beleive I might be doing the right thing . I notice you don't extend the back too far ( later on ) . I was thinking about 10 cm ( 1220 x 606 panel ) .

Nigel

That is an Enviee in a 1.2m x 1.2m baffle. It is offset to linearize the frequency response.
In that baffle it goes to ca. 100Hz -3dB and i use an active M-Dipole sub.
Later i made the baffle only 60cm wide. In that case i use a double layer of acoustic foam in the back so that is more a cardioid.
I called that resistive baffle and it also works down to 100Hz and is only half as wide.
If you want to make a dipole woofer in a baffle with your Emminence i would put the woofer close to the floor. There was a Martin King design that way.