Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mpl
Mpl
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2013, 04:20 PM   #331
fakamada is offline fakamada  Poland
diyAudio Member

Joachim, could you past some detailed photos od the back of your baffle? I'd like to see what foam doc you use (cenzury, pyramid height etc.) and how exactly is it mounted.
Old 20th May 2013, 07:59 AM   #332
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
Here is a discussion of the Snell Type 1 :
Snell type 1? - Snell - The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums
I am starting to read it.
extensively discussed here at diyaudio: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...akers-252.html

please join in if You like
Old 25th May 2013, 02:35 PM   #336
Joachim Gerhard is offline Joachim Gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

I saw in another thread a discussion how reflective baffles can be used to advantage.
I liked the version with the baffles on the sides of the ears. I think they do at least two things : producing lateral reflexions and mixing some of the output of the left speaker into the right ear and wise versa. They are also shielding longer lateral reflexions from the side walls.
So i build two baffles and listened.
The effect is a bit like the Linkwitz Watsons but without the pressure on the ears.
This system also does not need an amp plus delay and it is dirt cheep.
The L-R, R-L cancelation should improve separation and it does to a certain degree.
The lateral reflexions should give some pleasant spaciousness and the shielding of the side walls should reduce artificial reverberation from the listening room.
Actually the sound is more focussed and separated. The effect can be adjusted a bit by sitting more or less backward and forward. Sitting maximum backward gives the strongest focus but also a slight claustrophobic effect.
I found the sound best when the reflexions of the speakers are focussed on the ears.
That gives very good focus with natural spaciousness when the recording allows.
That is approximate when the ears are in the middle of the panel.
See a picture where i hold a mirror to the right panel and you see the left speaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg refective baffles total.jpg (390.8 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg reflective baffles in place 1.jpg (414.7 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg refective baffle mirror speaker.jpg (359.9 KB, 342 views)
Old 25th May 2013, 05:10 PM   #337
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Mpl
Voice coilless woofers... cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I saw in another thread a discussion how reflective baffles can be used to advantage.
I liked the version with the baffles on the sides of the ears. I think they do at least two things : producing lateral reflexions and mixing some of the output of the left speaker into the right ear and wise versa. They are also shielding longer lateral reflexions from the side walls.
So i build two baffles and listened.
The effect is a bit like the Linkwitz Watsons but without the pressure on the ears.
This system also does not need an amp plus delay and it is dirt cheep.
The L-R, R-L cancelation should improve separation and it does to a certain degree.
The lateral reflexions should give some pleasant spaciousness and the shielding of the side walls should reduce artificial reverberation from the listening room.
Actually the sound is more focussed and separated. The effect can be adjusted a bit by sitting more or less backward and forward. Sitting maximum backward gives the strongest focus but also a slight claustrophobic effect.
I found the sound best when the reflexions of the speakers are focussed on the ears.
That gives very good focus with natural spaciousness when the recording allows.
That is approximate when the ears are in the middle of the panel.
See a picture where i hold a mirror to the right panel and you see the left speaker.
What drive units are you using ? What is the purpose of the shinning cover ?

Last edited by RCruz; 25th May 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 25th May 2013, 05:15 PM   #338
diyAudio Member

This reflectors are all passive. The gold foils covers some holes from another experiment.
The foil is slightly bend so i thought that the refections get a bit scattered.
I did some more listening tests. It is quite fascination to move the seat back and forward.
I am now sitting 5cm more forward then yesterday and the sound is even more natural.
If i sit even more forward then this the sound gets less focussed and "weaker" in energy. If i sit more backwards there is more slam ( much more ) and focus ( slightly more ) but there also comes a kind of hollow tonality.
Old 25th May 2013, 05:39 PM   #339
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
nhinstruments
diyAudio Member

Mpl
So those are sound lens used near listening position.... must experiment with that
Old 25th May 2013, 05:52 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

They can also be positioned in other ways but this one seems to work well enough.
The effect is certainly stronger then going from capacitor A to capacitor B.

MplHide this!Advertise here!