Left over ply and a couple of HiVi B2S...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I built my kid a sandpit for his first birthday last week and had a little formply left over. I also had a couple of HiVi B2S drivers (purchased ages ago, for no particular reason).

Hey - why not make a pair of speakers? What about a kind of micro-Cyburg-Needle? Worthwhile or a waste of time?

I took a couple of work-in-progress photos on my phone - unfortunately, I didn't notice the phone was in portrait mode so the pics (like the speakers) are pretty small. Anyway, you get the idea.

If anyone is interested, I could take some better pics. I'd be interested to hear any suggestions anyone has for the electronics. Maybe BSC? (Although, I reckon if I use them for anything, it'll be on my desk and against a wall.) Maybe a high pass at 50Hz (or there abouts), since they're not likley to make much sound down that end?

Anyway, not quite done yet - probably I'll finish 'em up during the week (although I'm not sure what finished is going to look like).

Cheers,
Nik.

Attachments

• Image020.jpg
    Image020.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 238
  • Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Image029.jpg
    Image029.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 228
  • Image028.jpg
    Image028.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 233
  • B2S full specs.pdf
    141.7 KB · Views: 61
Drivers pretty good; cabinet idea not so much...

Hi Tommy,

Yeah, I think for the money the drivers are pretty good. They go lower and louder that I expected. Would be perfect for desktop multimedia speakers - I imagine that is exactly why HiVi produce them.

The cabinet, though, in preliminary testing, does not seem to be particularly good. Very uneven response. I think probably the obvious combination of small, sealed boxes and a subwoofer would be the way to go with the B2S.

If I finish off these ones, I'll try and make some measurements. Just for curiosity's sake. I'd be interested to simulate the cabinets in the King mathcad worksheets, but I'm not sure that I'm interested enough to licence them, yet.

I'm pretty crap at the woodwork - I might try a couple more experiments (with existing designs) and if I get better at it, then perhaps then try for my own [more carefully planned and possibly simulated] design for the small speakers.

Cheers,
Nik.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.