Pluto with Alpair 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Mark,

I am planning to build a surround speakers into my system and I would like to only use one driver. I came across this

Surround loudspeaker

and I quite like the idea, however, I found that the driver used does not have a good range like yours. I wonder if your Alpair 12 has a good horizontal dispersion for this purpose and also if it can be fitted this way to achieve the effect? Do you have a plan for this project?

Yours

ackcheng

Dear Mark,

I am planning to build a surround speakers into my system and I would like to only use one driver. I came across this

Surround loudspeaker

and I quite like the idea, however, I found that the driver used does not have a good range like yours. I wonder if your Alpair 12 has a good horizontal dispersion for this purpose and also if it can be fitted this way to achieve the effect? Do you have a plan for this project?

Yours

ackcheng

HI ackcheng, how are you? I met Mark yesterday in my audio room.

Mark: the Hypex UCD700 amp that you saw me using to drive the 18" woofer was indeed made by ackcheng ^^

Dear Mark,

Surround loudspeaker
Yours
ackcheng

Hi Ackcheng,
Interesting idea. I've never tried this myself so couldn't say for sure that the Alpair 12 would be optimal in such a design. However, the Alp12's cone has a very wide dispersion. Its off-axis response is excellent. This feature would be useful in this type of application.
Cheers
Mark.
(Nice Hypex amp - well done)

There are many interesting examples, but the one in the photo is for me one of the most stunning piece of DIY.

PLUTO photos

;)

Patrick

Attachments

• pluto-cfp-et-al_2.jpg
    pluto-cfp-et-al_2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 405
  • pluto-cfp-et-al_3.jpg
    pluto-cfp-et-al_3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 393
  • pluto-cfp-et-al_4.jpg
    pluto-cfp-et-al_4.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 388
I'm interest to know whether a Pluto sounds good in small HK flat, 80-150 sq feet maximum! Anyone in HK can give some comment?

Hi Mark F,
For HK, which of your driver(s) suit best? What about the tweeter too?
Alpair10 + Alpair5? Thanks,
Mark L

Hi Mark L,
Pluto is such a small room space maybe too big?

My drivers in typical smaller HK apartments with living space up to 200 sq. ft., I'd recommend Alpair 6 and Alpair 7, also CHR-70, BR and vented maybe the most practical. For spaces 250 to 500 sq.ft., Alpair 7 in TL, Pencil 7 and other larger boxes, Alpair 10 and Alpair 12 in smaller BR and vented boxes. Above 500 sq.ft., Alpair 10 and Alpair 12 in larger boxes (e.g MLTL, Pencil series boxes and similar).

Tweeter? I assume you mean my new Tweet No3. I's suggest putting this unit with my Woofer No.6. Something like a 13 litre BR through to a 30 litre BR or vented tower box would be nice making this set-up more suitable for apartments above 250 sq.ft.

For an Alpair 10/Alpair 5 combo, apartments above 250 sq.ft. would be better suited.

Thanks

Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.