Alpair 12 Open Baffle Designs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2010, 02:36 AM   #11
hayenc is offline hayenc  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hayenc
Default Alpair 12 Open Baffle Designs

Per Mark's request, I am opening a thread on using the new Alpair 12 in Open Baffle designs. I am using one now and Alberti has also posted, but these posting are in the MLK H-Frame using the Goldwood 1858 thread. We will try to move the relevant posts on using an Alpair 12 OB over here.
Old 4th March 2010, 03:03 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
albertli, funny to see your Goldwood H-frames with OB Alpairs. I have Alpha H-frames with (at the moment anyway) Tangband w8-1808s... i also have unused BIBs but behind the listening spot. If you ever go back to the BIBs you will see they do have compelling qualities too. But currently I am enjoying these relatively modest costing open baffle systems that really cost very little in comparison to the electronics used to power them. I also agree, your pleasantly shaped baffles have a nice organic look compared to the rigidly angular rectangles that adorn my room. Enjoy!

Godzilla
I love my BIB too, but too bad my very best friend took my drivers for his new project. I thought it would be better for me to look for a pair of new driver for the box - for the coming big screen tv system.
That baffle not only looks good, but sounds good too. I would make another pair with slimmer on both sides, and see if I'd have better highs.

Albert
Old 4th March 2010, 06:27 AM   #13
lazyfly is offline lazyfly  Australia
diyAudio Member

hayenc,

Thanks for posting on these 2 drivers.

I too am interested in both and wonder with regards to the 7 and 12. Is the difference between them much what one would expect given the relative sizes. That being the 7 has a little more sparkle up top while the 12 has more weight through the bass and mid frequencies?

I realise this is a vague way of putting things but its the best I can do

That 12 has a really big basket!

Cheers!
Old 4th March 2010, 01:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have had some system problems and will be on vacation for a few days, so responses will be sparse. First, both drivers need time to break in. They change more than any other driver I have had. And so, I have not done quite the critical listening after break in that they need. I am finding that the 12 seems to hold its own with the sparkle on the high end while having the added weight. Will say more in a week or so.

Craig
Old 23rd March 2010, 08:43 PM   #15
Speed is offline Speed  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Alpair 12 still in the box, destined for a future project.
I'm very interested in exercising them along with a pair of Goldwoods in this design until I'm ready. This looks very cool.
I'm a FR guy. I don't like the plate amp solution mostly because the power cords violate the WAF. How would one ideally drive this combo? I've never bi-amped or used digital crossovers and have never built a passive crossover, though I could be spoon fed Shopping for gear doesn't violate the WAF
Looking at the Behringer site has just made me dizzy.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi Speed,

Here's my newbie experience with an active crossover. First, I read that MJK has pre and power amps that already use XLR, so he just adds the crossover inline and is done. Like most, my gear is just normal consumer-style RCA.

There is a ~12db difference between pro XLR and consumer RCA. There's also an impedance difference. A simple XLR-to-RCA straight-through adaptor is not the best solution. So the next choice is level/impedance matching with *gasp* an external box. The boxes start at about $50. The convenient ones will simultaneously convert (a) one stereo pair of XLR-to-RCA and (b) one stereo pair of RCA-to-XLR.

In my case, source output is stereo RCA, that gets converted to stereo XLR which goes into the crossover, and out come two pairs of stereo XLR's (one pair to the woofer amp, one pair to the fullranger amp). All told, I needed two $50 stereo boxes (each of which can do simultaneous XLR-to-RCA and RCA-to-XLR in stereo), 6 XLR cables plus 3 pair of RCA cables.

One other note: cheap plate amps don't necessarily have a high-pass built in -- they might just have a knob that adjusts the low-pass to the sub-woofer (and do nothing else). That's what I found on my cheapo plate amp anyway.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:04 AM   #17
Speed is offline Speed  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks. That helps considerably. I hadn't mentioned the XLR vs RCA dilemma expressly so thanks for you instinct and insight.
Old 23rd June 2010, 04:00 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

any new news here ?
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:23 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Finally have my BAT preamp with new tubes, and the AR VT-130 repaired so I am back in business. Have to say that for the last month, I have been listening to the Alpair 7's in OB. They are breaking in nicely and still have a bit more detail than the 12's and as they break in, the lower mids are more solid. I tried the H-frame woofer below them with the Selenium drivers instead of the Eminence Alpha, and got too much bass with much less detail. So for now, just enjoying the 7's. Just swapped my PH5 for a Peter Daniel Phonostage and was impressed by the improvement in quality. The 7's were definitely up to showing that off.
Old 23rd June 2010, 03:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

>>> I have started, not really intentionally, a collection of 15" woofers and a bunch of 3" to 4" full range drivers...

LOL... i can relate.

>>> I am back in business. Have to say that for the last month, I have been listening to the Alpair 7's in OB.

Glad you are back in business and listening again.

>>> I tried the H-frame woofer below them with the Selenium drivers instead of the Eminence Alpha, and got too much bass with much less detail.

Thanks for your observation!

Honestly, the H-frame with some kind of open baffle setup on top could be the ultimate home speaker. If you have the room for H-frames they do an amazing job in the bass - full and rich - not like expensive audiophile 8" drivers or single 12" powered bass subwoofers sitting in a corner. Choose a 15" or 18" H-frame and have fun experimenting with your choice of full range drivers on OB... you can even play with sealed or ported boxes with any combination of drivers atop your H-frames bc they act as speaker stands.

MJK did a wonderful job when he shared his H-frame experience!

Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!