Alpair 12 Open Baffle Designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not finding any photos of an "H frame." Could someone post a pic of what the heck it is? Thanks

Check out the first page of this thread, post #8. Abertli has a snapshot of his (nice)system up there. His open baffle Alpair 12's are sitting on his "H-Frame" woofers.

An H-frame is basically a shallow, square box with no front or back. Instead it has a baffle in the (approx.) middle in which the woofer is mounted. It doesn't really resemble an "H" all that much.

Check out the first page of this thread, post #8. Abertli has a snapshot of his (nice)system up there. His open baffle Alpair 12's are sitting on his "H-Frame" woofers.

An H-frame is basically a shallow, square box with no front or back. Instead it has a baffle in the (approx.) middle in which the woofer is mounted. It doesn't really resemble an "H" all that much.

Cut one in half horizontally, and look down from above....

:) Great timing on this post, I just inherited a pair of OB panels from Phil Townsend that he had a 6 1/2 inch Feastrex and Altec 416 B (GPA) drivers in each OB. I have a pair of Altec A7's that I am going to refinish cabinets and was looking to build (or get) another set of speakers in the meantime. Well today decided to try the Alpair 10 with my 416A drivers below . I will use Phil's digital crossover to find crossover point and then build to exact measurement. Really looking forward to hearing the Alpair and having a different sound. Love the A7's but a second speaker system is always fun to swap out.:cool:

Guess I will resurrect this thread. Only just discovered the Alpairs which at the moment I am liking more than my Bastanis ;)
alp12p2.jpg

alp12p012.jpg

alp12p011.jpg

alp12p010.jpg

They were CNC'd out of 40mm MDF & sprayed white.

The sub is an AE Dipole 18 actively driven by a Berhinger iNuke with built in DSP. Crossing at 140Hz suits me, but its really easy to integrate the sub using the Behringer software in real time from listening position with a laptop and to compansate for room nodes.
xo.jpg

I have not gone for a full H-frame due to room considerations. I have also tried the Goldwoods in this application with equally great results.

I did comparison in another thread.

I found the Hawthornes to be too laid back with loss of micro detail. The Bastanis excel in this. In my case too much & unforgiving of some material to become tiring.

The Alpairs seem to give a nice balance in my system....plenty of detail and never tiring. Also more coherent being a single point source. I have been using for 3 months now & cannot find anything I dont like about them!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.