fostex fe126e in a mfonken? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
dod996 is offline dod996  United States
diyAudio Member

Default fostex fe126e in a mfonken?

Has anyone tried a Fostex FE126E in a mfonken?
I'm building a mini system for my niece and I don't want to spent too much on drivers.

Tony
Old 3rd March 2010, 04:14 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod996 View Post
Has anyone tried a Fostex FE126E in a mfonken?
I'm building a mini system for my niece and I don't want to spent too much on drivers.

Tony

not an advisable combination if you don't plan on sub/sat style system - even then the FE126 would have some problems in a enclosure this small

if you don't already have drivers in hand, either the recently discontinued FE127E (still some around) or Mark Audio CHR70 in sealed version would be the most likely candidates

the only downside to any of the Mark Audio drivers to date is their lower sensitivity to which those of us familiar with Fostex have become accustomed - and frankly that's only an impediment with low power amps such as the flea watt SET's some of us enjoy in combination with our single driver systems
Old 3rd March 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

FE126e will not work in the mFonken. It is specifically designed for FE127e... If you look at this thread you can see that each specific driver needs a bit different box to work ... but FE126 will not work no matter what i try (the closest curve to acceptable gives F3 of about 140 Hz, and it starts flling at about 300 Hz)

The discontinuation of the FE127 is a big loss to the diy community. I still have a few pair left, but after that... EL70eN is a good sonic substitute (not the same, but on balance), but you do need some 4x as much power (fortunately these are much happier with SS then the FE127eN)

dave
Old 3rd March 2010, 05:27 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
FE126e will not work in the mFonken. It is specifically designed for FE127e... If you look at this thread you can see that each specific driver needs a bit different box to work ... but FE126 will not work no matter what i try (the closest curve to acceptable gives F3 of about 140 Hz, and it starts flling at about 300 Hz)

The discontinuation of the FE127 is a big loss to the diy community. I still have a few pair left, but after that... EL70eN is a good sonic substitute (not the same, but on balance), but you do need some 4x as much power (fortunately these are much happier with SS then the FE127eN)

dave

as Dave alludes, there are several models of Mark Audio drivers that work well in this size box (we've tried to date the A6 CHR70 and EL70)

unless your niece will hosting dance parties, amplifier power of e. 20-30W of solid state ( such as a Class T amp) should be sufficient

for the budget your inquiry regarding FE126 implies, the choice between either of the "70" models could well depend on whether you have a known preference for paper or metal

until I hear newer production models from Mark, my own taste leans to the paper (EL70)
Old 4th March 2010, 02:48 AM   #5
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
Dave, have you ever tried enabling any of the Tang Band drivers, like the w4-1320? It has good sensitivity of 89 db and it's an 8ohm driver which is a plus. One thing's certain, at least for me, Fostex are some of the nicer looking drivers out there. Too bad they're fazing out the xx7's.

Last edited by type; 4th March 2010 at 02:50 AM.
Old 4th March 2010, 03:05 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have EnABLed some 3" TBs.

dave
Old 4th March 2010, 12:22 PM   #7
dod996 is offline dod996  United States
diyAudio Member

How would a mMar-Kel70 sound using a T-Amp in place of the mfonken?

Tony
Old 4th March 2010, 03:42 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

They sound fine. I am using the original prototypes in my office. More capable than FE127 in the bottom & top, not as forward thru the mids, and perhaps not the finese thru the midrange -- i'm being reserved about that, as these drivers seem to take just as long or longer than the Fostex to bed in.

T-amp will like that they are 4 ohms.

dave
Old 4th March 2010, 10:46 PM   #9
type is offline type  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They sound fine. I am using the original prototypes in my office. More capable than FE127 in the bottom & top, not as forward thru the mids, and perhaps not the finese thru the midrange -- i'm being reserved about that, as these drivers seem to take just as long or longer than the Fostex to bed in.

T-amp will like that they are 4 ohms.

dave
I know it has more power available when used with 4ohm speakers but isn't distortion a bit worse with the t-amp when using 4ohm speakers?
Old 4th March 2010, 10:59 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Measured distortion s typically higher in almost any amplifier when you halve the impedance.

There is little or no correlation with distortion and sonics until you start looking at the spectrums.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!