Maxi - Mini Fonken

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I have a pair of Lowther EX3's lying around and I'd like to build them into a small bookshelf type speaker. I like the look of the Fonkens but they don't fit a 8" driver, can I simply scale up the Fonken to fit a 8" driver?

well resizing a design for any size driver to fit is one thing

Is it that simple :)

Stoat
but getting it to actually sound right , nope- not quite

no Mustelidaeans were harmed in the formulation of this post

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a pair of Lowther EX3's lying around and I'd like to build them into a small bookshelf type speaker. I like the look of the Fonkens but they don't fit a 8" driver, can I simply scale up the Fonken to fit a 8" driver?

Is it that simple :)

Stoat,

It is not nearly that easy. 1st thing is that the driver needs to appropriate to this kind of enclosure... certainly FE126/166/206 aren't. I have a feeling that the Lowther is closer to them than the FExx7 drivers,

1st criteria is that they need to work in a reflex enclosure.

From what i know of these drivers any small enclosure for them is going to end up being a mid-tweeter... it will need bass support.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.