Will the Tangband W8-1772 work in a Sachiko double horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, the plan for now is to build Bill Wood's (of Acoustic Horn) K-slot horn first and see how they perform. We'll go from there (either full stop, or move on to something bigger, depending on how capable the driver seems in that design and driver / cab synergy).

Smaller and more importantly, faster to build than the sachiko. I emailed Bill and he thinks my driver will work in his design. The plans can be found under his profile (RCA-Fan) on AudioAsylum

I'll start a separate build thread.

poked one into/onto BK20- only played a few minutes - ok driver with beautiful build - have to duck down to catch its ~on-axis - initial impression = Karlsonette K12 with BetsyK has more power (if not gain?) and less messed up bass than the little blh - 1772 probably better/smoother HF extension. BK20 BLH has weird bass presentation - not much cone movement - not much happenin':D - maybe too much midrange leakage down the pipe. I'll have to look for some cds - it takes good imagination to listen to speakers in general - it ain't bad for an 8" FR playing Nokie Edwards (crappy Japanese recording) - ah! - going to Xiao-Lin " Spirit of the Chinese Drum", it shows very good for a single-driver -
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/zhuxiaolin - -dang I didn't know I bought a cdr - good album overall

Last edited:
good - Bill doesn't seem to have the radial slot described on his page (?) - its in his drawings whose links I posted - will arauco plywood work? - I'd have to have them cut long distance and flat-packed - if I can get ahold of my cutter - did you see Tang Bang's blh plan?

3/4" Arauco is probably what I'll use . Wait for me to be the guinea pig before you place any orders. I'll probably get some from Lowes this evening or early tomorrow.

I guess I could try the tangband design, but at this point, I'm willing to give Bill Wood's design a chance (unless there's a good reason I shouldn't)

Attachments

• W8-1772 cabinet drawing.pdf
    122.7 KB · Views: 427
zobsky

"(unless there's a good reason I shouldn't) "

may be material and the end of the K-slot,
do you know my construction for a TB and a lot of other drivers,
SAXOPHON
RDH20

Attachments

• saxophon nirvana.jpg
    saxophon nirvana.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 483
  • rdhb200web.jpg
    rdhb200web.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 480
Pine Plywood

3/4" Arauco is probably what I'll use . Wait for me to be the guinea pig before you place any orders. I'll probably get some from Lowes this evening or early tomorrow.t)

If you haven't gotten the pine plywood already, I might consider Douglas Fir Plywood first, as pine will tend to warp with humidity, and Doug fir will generally remain stable even in water.

It certainly is, but since were on big box category buster's... Home Depot has a 12mm "Sandeply" plywood by Endesa which looked pretty void free to me and has more ply's then the 18mm version (which doesn't appear to be void free).
I'm thinking, gluing up two 12mm 4'x8' sheets, should yield similar results of the more exotic plywood's. And well, if nothing else it would be perfect for the TB W8 1772 factory BLH plan.

Thanks Horst, you've just made me £10 richer; I had a bet on that you would be the next person to post in this thread. :)

has anyone posted a hornresp model of Sachiko?

Not AFAIK; I haven't looked at Hornresp for a couple of months but IIRC, it can only model 4 manifolds in series, so you'd have to fudge it by assuming ~continuous expansion. FWIW, without trying it, I suspect it'd get the bottom end accurate enough, but it's accuracy would start to fall away at the top end of the cabinet's gain BW (which is not to say I think it's anything other than a fantastic piece of software).

It's arguably a moot point now though; with the death of the FE206E, Sachiko is bordering on obsolescent. On the plus side, it has a reasonable amount of raw volume, making it a little more forgiving of different drivers than some smaller cabinets; the new FE206En should go straight in for e.g. -however, the En only has 53% of the linear volume displancement of the driver it replaced, so IMO it requires handling differently if you want to get the best from it.

Last edited:
LOL HM ! -Scottmoose, maybe AJ will fudge Sachiko (?) re:xmax - FE206EN might have as much usable xmax as the old model (?)

I don't have FE206E - If one had both, time and inclination then might do some two-tone sine comparisons -- don't know how well that would indicate compression. FE206EN at a certain level compressed in the little Karlson on drum beats but was still competitive with 1772 on the same passages. I have a 12" coax which does better power-wise on the sharp part of the drums in the same size coupler but with higher percussion the coax's high frequency transients are smeared compared to 1772 whose subjective transients are very good. Eminence's generic crossover may be part of the problem.
(how much power are folks using with their fullrange?)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Probably not much (power that is). AFAIK Xmech is similar on the FE206E and FE206En, but Xmax in the new En model (& therefore volume displacement) is only 53% of the old unit, so LF dynamic BW will be compromised.

I think AJ Horn (I had an earlier version of the software but it's a long time ago now) will have a similar issue as Hornresp in that it would need to be fudged to continuous expansion, which should be fine for the bottom end but will see accuracy higher up in the gain BW fall away. TBH, it's going to vary considerably anyway depending on what amps are employed and how the builder damps it; my usual proceedure is to only spec. minimal damping & leave the end-user to adjust that to suit their own system / room / requirements. You're asking for trouble if you do make any additional suggestions. I fell into this trap recently; never again.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.