Sachiko and Sigma Series Drivers = A Happy Pig - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2010, 12:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sachiko and Sigma Series Drivers = A Happy Pig

Last month I located a pair of Fostex 208 Sigma drivers with whizzer cone. After inquiring to Scott about the compatibility of them going into my Sachiko cabinets I decided to buy them.

I was a bit unsure about what the end result was going to be, even though Scott had said it would work.

Well its done, and the initial results are quite positive. The mids are far more refined and fuller than the 206. The sound is a bit smoother and more detailed, but at this time is a bit closed in at the higher frequencies. I noticed this when I installed the 206, and when I installed the Cardas internal wiring. I expect with a couple of dozen hours the top end will open up.

The improvement in bass response was outstanding! I felt with reggae or techno music the 206 did not really have the bass extension to satisfy. With the 208 Sigma there is gobs of detailed and fast bass. The speaker now really is a legitimate full range speaker.

I know I gotta get time on these speakers, and get the drivers to break in again. They have been sitting for quite awhile, and I doubt they are at their peak performance. But the initial results are promising, and the tonal balance is becoming more even with only a few hours of play time.

I know the Sachiko are designed for the FE205E. But I think this cabinet deserves a top notch driver. I am glad that I was lucky enough to find an early generation 208 Sigma drivers.

Regards
Mister Pig
Old 19th February 2010, 01:43 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

That adds another driver people have been satisfied with in Sachiko (ignoring tweaked variations). FE206e, 208eS, 206eSR, and now 208s.

As an aside the one person who has compared FE206eN to FE206eSR says the treated 206 jumps over the esr.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!