Merrill DCA 5.5's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of Merrill DCA 5.5 drivers that I bought a couple of years ago and have finally gotten around to doing something with them....but what? I thought about PAWO side horns, but decided against them. Has anyone used these drivers in a monitor, or t-line? I built a pair of Zigma-Hornets 2 years ago out of solid maple with the Merrill DCA 4's and love them. Could I build a Voigt pipe type enclosure such as the one in the Cain and Cain (Lovecraft) Abbey? Any suggestions and help are appreciated. Stacy.

I have a pair of Merrill DCA 5.5 drivers that I bought a couple of years ago and have finally gotten around to doing something with them....but what? I thought about PAWO side horns, but decided against them. Has anyone used these drivers in a monitor, or t-line? I built a pair of Zigma-Hornets 2 years ago out of solid maple with the Merrill DCA 4's and love them. Could I build a Voigt pipe type enclosure such as the one in the Cain and Cain (Lovecraft) Abbey? Any suggestions and help are appreciated. Stacy.

If the T/S measures are anywhere available for these (DaveD might even have some?), a BIB should be relatively easy to calculate, and would certainly deliver the most bang for the buck in terms of bass output and simplicity of build.

IINM, the PAWO bears some similarities to the Jordan VTL; other options for floor standers would be something like the Mileva or Brynn - shallow wide baffled enclosures enclosures, all of which (except for the VTL), I've built several pairs.

I'd consider either the Mileva or Brynn as easier builds than the PAWO, and I found the Brynn fairly tolerant of variations in driver parameters.

For a smaller stand-mount or "bookshelf" enclosure, and depending on your requirement for bass extension, there are a couple of designs in the "Fonken" family that would probably be worth a look as well.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We haven't done anything with our 5.5 yet. Attached are the measured data from that pair.

From the data, it looks like a BIB or a mid-tweeter in a FAST (OB or otherwise)

dave

Attachments

• Merrill-DCA55-TSP.gif
    Merrill-DCA55-TSP.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 303
  • DCA55eN.jpg
    DCA55eN.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 294
I finished a pair of the Jordan transmission line cabinets a few weeks ago, and am loving them. I built some ziggies about a year ago, and did not like them, they reminded me of when I was a little kid, talking through a PVC pipe. Still they did some things well.

The Jordan cabinets are a whole different story... I love them...

I found this thread looking for another pair of drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.