Fostex FE206E front horn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone built or modeled a front horn for an FE206E? I just came across the thread for the front horn with the 6"er and doing one for the 8" really piqued my interest. 100-150 hz is what I planned on as the cutoff and I'll build some bass cabs to pickup below that. Thanks guys.

Has anyone built or modeled a front horn for an FE206E? I just came across the thread for the front horn with the 6"er and doing one for the 8" really piqued my interest. 100-150 hz is what I planned on as the cutoff and I'll build some bass cabs to pickup below that. Thanks guys.

I did, see thread below, starting on post #19. The mid range (150-600) gain was
about +10 to +15db. After I had the 206E in that front horn for awhile and I pulled
it out and put in a pair of OB similar to the Quasar, and I started to hear treble
details that I was not hearing before.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/63178-front-horn-designs-post-your-results-pics-2.html

I think Burt D has a pretty well established (albeit less dramatic) front horn that's known to work with FE206E, among others.

a few hours reviewing his current site might be of some interest

BD-Design, only the best!

BQC, what was the throat dimension on that horn you were using with the 206? I was unable to tell from the photo. (cool horn by the way)

From the Dinsdale article:

"...for higher frequencies, where wavelengths are of the same order as the physical dimensions of the loudspeaker diaphragm, the throat area should be made the same as that of the loudspeaker,...."

Small throat=greater efficiency but more high freq. attenuation.
Large throat=lower efficiency but less high freq. attenuation.

206 is pretty darn efficient as is, I would lean toward making the throat the same size as the driver as any fleawatt amp should drive those to insane levels in a front horn. If you haven't already, I would recommend the J. Dinsdale article and Edgar's midrange horn article for dimensions and building tips. Is there a particular reason you chose 100hz to 150hz as your cut off? Do you already have a pair of 206e's?

Derek

I choose those frequencies because I figured if I go any lower, i would lose some efficiency in the mid-treble frequencies and I've already got plans for the lowend. I'm trying to fit as big as mouth as possible. I just think horns with big mouths look awesome and plus I want it to be as efficient as possible. I liked the design I saw in that thread, it was simple, looked nice and according to the OP, it sounded good.

The BD-Design doesn't help me out much. I couldn't find much info on plans

BQC, what was the throat dimension on that horn you were using with the 206? I was unable to tell from the photo. (cool horn by the way)

From the Dinsdale article:

"...for higher frequencies, where wavelengths are of the same order as the physical dimensions of the loudspeaker diaphragm, the throat area should be made the same as that of the loudspeaker,...."

Small throat=greater efficiency but more high freq. attenuation.
Large throat=lower efficiency but less high freq. attenuation.

206 is pretty darn efficient as is, I would lean toward making the throat the same size as the driver as any fleawatt amp should drive those to insane levels in a front horn. If you haven't already, I would recommend the J. Dinsdale article and Edgar's midrange horn article for dimensions and building tips. Is there a particular reason you chose 100hz to 150hz as your cut off? Do you already have a pair of 206e's?

Derek

The mold was made with the intend to have throat size about
5" X 5". But I eventually chopped off the length a bit at the
throat to increase the throat size to about 7" X 7" (the size of
the 206E) . Even with this larger throat , a lot of high frequencies were attenuated, so much that I never knew that the
206E has a peak in the 2-3K region until pull it out of the horn
and put it in an OB and that is when I started to hear treble details that I did not hear before. That is why I think
206E may not be best in a front horn, it does not have enough
peak at the high freq like Lowthers to balance the 10-15 db boost in the lower mid range. It sounded great though, very dynamic and you can place them in corner without imaging issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.