Best high eff fullrange in the 500$ range...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FE168eSigma has a lovely cast basket.

dave

the most readily available photos of the above named driver don't do justice to the quality of casting (maybe Dave has one buried in his archives), but this woofer variant gives some idea.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

oh, yes it wouldn't have been worth the mention if the Sigma series didn't sound particularly nice as well

mind you, the thick bevel of the mounting flange does present some interesting challenges for a front loaded horn

then there's the F120a or F200

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Cheap?

maybe compared to Feastrex, AER or custom field coil Lowthers, etc., but certainly a bit rich for a lot of DIYers

the most readily available photos of the above named driver don't do justice to the quality of casting (maybe Dave has one buried in his archives), but this woofer variant gives some idea.

oh, yes it wouldn't have been worth the mention if the Sigma series didn't sound particularly nice as well

mind you, the thick bevel of the mounting flange does present some interesting challenges for a front loaded horn

then there's the F120a or F200

Cheap?

maybe compared to Feastrex, AER or custom field coil Lowthers, etc., but certainly a bit rich for a lot of DIYers

They sure look very nice, but some of the feedback i've read about them isnt too good...

GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - Fostex F120A ? the ******* disaster!

They sure look very nice, but some of the feedback i've read about them isnt too good...

GoodSoundClub - Romy the Cat's Audio Site - Fostex F120A ? the ******* disaster!

Fair enough, we're all entitled to our own opinions.

I have actually heard the F120A in a small vented enclosure

not the highest sensitivity around, but "fracking disaster" is not the first superlative that comes to mind

>>> Maybe I will just be better off with a 2" compression driver...

I would like to hear a comparison between a 2" compression driver and a quality full/wide range driver covering the same bandwidth.

Having a Sigma 168s i'd say it's well made especially in comparison to the 165k which is much less well made but also sounds very good regardless. The new Tangband 8" drivers are very well made too in the same class as Fostex Sigma. Never saw a Feastrex or even a Lowther up close so can't comment on their construction. Wouldn't a Lowther be used in the horn you have?

I'm curious to know what you choose.
Godzilla

With all the horrible measurements ive seen with Lowther units, I can only guess people buy them because of the brand and pricetag, which fools them to think they bought something good... But thats just my opinion :)

I would love if TB could make a 5 inch version of their 1772 model, which seems to be excellent according to reviews and measurements ive seen.

An improved pimped out Fostex FE126 driver would be great too... :D

With all the horrible measurements ive seen with Lowther units, I can only guess people buy them because of the brand and pricetag, which fools them to think they bought something good... But thats just my opinion :)

No, there is more to it than that.

It's more like people like them - despite their problems.

Nelson Pass has a full listening and measurement "panel" on various Fostex and Lowther drivers on the net somewhere. I'm pretty sure he prefers the Lowthers. The same as well for MJK.

So it's a matter of "can you put up with some of the problems and potentially correct for some of the other problems" to get that certain special something? (..that yes, costs more.) :eek:

..btw, I wouldn't.

Here is another measured sample:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Lowther.htm

Compare to the Supravox 215 (..middle of the page):

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/SupravoxDTQWT.htm

Last edited:
Too sad that the Veravox 5 is currently not available. But if it has to work without a tweeter you'll need something with a strong treble rise anyway. I once had a pair of Ciare HX160 in simple conical horns, very neutral, maybe a bit boring in comparison to the large amounts of second order harmonic distortion this driver has as direct radiator, but if you have a valve amp that cares for it... The main problem was a diffuse imaging. Would be very interesting to see how it behaves in a Le Cleach. But if it has to be highend then try to get a pair of Veravoxes and combine it with tweeters. The old JBL alnico midranges also have a very good reputation, but I haven't heard them personally.

Since you have never heard a pair, it seems very closed minded to dismiss them based on somebody else's measurements. Measurements and simulations are my tools of choice, but they don't tell you how something will sound. If you heard a Lowther system done right, you would understand.

For about $500 per pair, I would recommend the Lowther PM6C. This is a very under rated driver which is still a significant cut above the Fostex drivers I have heard (admittedly I have not heard them all).

Too sad that the Veravox 5 is currently not available. But if it has to work without a tweeter you'll need something with a strong treble rise anyway. I once had a pair of Ciare HX160 in simple conical horns, very neutral, maybe a bit boring in comparison to the large amounts of second order harmonic distortion this driver has as direct radiator, but if you have a valve amp that cares for it... The main problem was a diffuse imaging. Would be very interesting to see how it behaves in a Le Cleach. But if it has to be highend then try to get a pair of Veravoxes and combine it with tweeters. The old JBL alnico midranges also have a very good reputation, but I haven't heard them personally.

Those Veravox's looks close to perfect... Shame they are not available. Had a look at the Supravox 165GMF, and it seems to be very linear both on and off axis. Too bad they dont have a rising response... but I have the possibility to equalize. Hmm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.