Onken Alpair 10Bass - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2010, 12:18 PM   #1
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Onken Alpair 10Bass

After seeing HH article for the Alpair10 + 5, im searching for best application for them
I always like onken, and i found this onken calculator from mh-audio.nl - Downloads

I calculated based on publish parameters on markaudio.com, and i come up with this result

i need 97L box volume!!!

i wonder if this calculator is right
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ONKEN_CALC alpair10.pdf (108.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 16th February 2010, 12:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

if i calculated the box internal dimension would be 250mm x 400mm x 970mm.

Which still ok for floorstanding but with 8 ports, let say 4 each side, with height of 30mm and width of 18mm (3/4" materials).

cheers
henry
Old 16th February 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I tried to do simple drawing
Attached Files
File Type: pdf alpair10 onken.pdf (7.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 16th February 2010, 01:56 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

One or more of the specs you used is wrong based on the average measured specs posted awhile back. It's Vas is way too low for Onken loading, only for the Onken 'look' as a ~aperiodically loaded alignment, i.e. DD's Fonken concept. A 6 ohm series resistance is going to dramatically increase the cab's net Vb/lower Fb over one designed for a SS or similar vanishingly low output impedance source though.

GM
Old 16th February 2010, 02:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK, looking at the published specs, you inputted the wrong Re and Sd plus markaudio's Sd spec is wrong unless it's some arcane metric unit not normally used as it should be an area unit of measure such as cm^2, etc..

Regardless, input Re = 5.4 and assuming the published Sd should be 89.9 cm^2, then input Sd = 8.99e-03 for a bit more realistic design, yet not so much considering its TL length vents.

GM
Old 16th February 2010, 05:12 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Henry,

Here is the planet10-hifi primeSize milliOnken (looks like an Onken but has nothing to do with Onken calculators),

http://p10hifi.net/tlinespeakers/FAL...map-181209.pdf

dave
Old 16th February 2010, 05:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Dave,

For your drawing note 1: 14 L = ~854.33"^3 = ~0.4944 ft^3.

Got a measured response or at least a sim? The reason I ask is that the Onken calculator might make an excellent Fonken calculator to find cab net Vb, Fb, vent areas. For instance, ignoring any series resistance, this driver calculates a n = 6.34 ~12.86 L/44.6Hz Fb, so curious if the minor reduction audibly affects it.

Or, if it does and the calculator is off by roughly the same percentage on other Fonken designs, then we can change the 'n' factor as required to average them out enough to make a dedicated DIY designer same as the BIB.

GM
Old 16th February 2010, 06:13 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting idea. When i do these i look for a specific curve shape and then estimate response by interpolating with the sealed response at the same volume.

Going back to the drawing, actual volume is 826 in^3 less whatever the driver takes up. 14 litre is the gross volume before braces & drivers, target was 13 litre net (just under 800 in^3)

Sim is 13 litre 50 hz tuning.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif A10-mO-FRSim.gif (14.6 KB, 204 views)
Old 16th February 2010, 06:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks!

YGM,

GM
Old 17th February 2010, 03:57 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi GM, thanks for correcting me.

Dave, thanks for sharing the plan, will it work for alpair10 bass? which have slightly different Q and mms.

cheers
henry

Hide this!Advertise here!