Onken Alpair 10Bass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After seeing HH article for the Alpair10 + 5, im searching for best application for them
I always like onken, and i found this onken calculator from mh-audio.nl - Downloads

I calculated based on publish parameters on markaudio.com, and i come up with this result

i need 97L box volume!!!

i wonder if this calculator is right

Attachments

• ONKEN_CALC alpair10.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 140

GM

Joined 2003
One or more of the specs you used is wrong based on the average measured specs posted awhile back. It's Vas is way too low for Onken loading, only for the Onken 'look' as a ~aperiodically loaded alignment, i.e. DD's Fonken concept. A 6 ohm series resistance is going to dramatically increase the cab's net Vb/lower Fb over one designed for a SS or similar vanishingly low output impedance source though.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
OK, looking at the published specs, you inputted the wrong Re and Sd plus markaudio's Sd spec is wrong unless it's some arcane metric unit not normally used as it should be an area unit of measure such as cm^2, etc..

Regardless, input Re = 5.4 and assuming the published Sd should be 89.9 cm^2, then input Sd = 8.99e-03 for a bit more realistic design, yet not so much considering its TL length vents.

GM

GM

Joined 2003
Dave,

For your drawing note 1: 14 L = ~854.33"^3 = ~0.4944 ft^3. ;)

Got a measured response or at least a sim? The reason I ask is that the Onken calculator might make an excellent Fonken calculator to find cab net Vb, Fb, vent areas. For instance, ignoring any series resistance, this driver calculates a n = 6.34 ~12.86 L/44.6Hz Fb, so curious if the minor reduction audibly affects it.

Or, if it does and the calculator is off by roughly the same percentage on other Fonken designs, then we can change the 'n' factor as required to average them out enough to make a dedicated DIY designer same as the BIB.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Interesting idea. When i do these i look for a specific curve shape and then estimate response by interpolating with the sealed response at the same volume.

Going back to the drawing, actual volume is 826 in^3 less whatever the driver takes up. 14 litre is the gross volume before braces & drivers, target was 13 litre net (just under 800 in^3)

Sim is 13 litre 50 hz tuning.

dave

Attachments

• A10-mO-FRSim.gif
    A10-mO-FRSim.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 254
Or, if it does and the calculator is off by roughly the same percentage on other Fonken designs, then we can change the 'n' factor as required to average them out enough to make a dedicated DIY designer same as the BIB.

Hi GM,

FWIW, I tried to duplicate Dave's Fonken in the XLS calculator ages ago when I built my boxes. I got an n = 5.3, but that was with Rg=0.6 ohms and the factory TS numbers. Vb Total was approx. 13.6 litres.

Jeff

Hi GM, thanks for correcting me.

You're welcome!

Not an Onken (you can always either paint the vents on and/or route some fake slots as some have done to get the 'look'), but a MLTL floor-stander looks doable and with a 6 ohm output resistance it will have a vintage type of 'warm' bass response, so for a very low impedance some BSC may be required if not near/at a room boundary:

L = 54.187"
zdriver = 17.93" puts the driver at a typical ear height
zport = at bottom
SO, SL = 48.13"^2 (recommend 8.75" x 5.5")
dport = 3" or a slot of = area (7.07"^2)
Lport = 3"

All dims i.d. (inside) and approximate. Stuff with polyfil as required up to 0.5 lb/ft^3 to get the desired smoothness/roll off response including in the vent if there's still some 'one note' resonance. Such a high aspect ratio cab needs little bracing if built of void free plywood, so a vertical front-to-back motor brace is all it needs and of course a suitable base to keep it from easily tipping over, especially if kids and/or pets are around.

GM

I got an n = 5.3.........

Greets!

The MLTL I just posted has a n = 6.34 calculated volume to keep the footprint as small as practical, but is too big IMO to meet either the Fonken's or my own ~aperiodic design criteria, yet too small to meet my MLTL design criteria based on its published specs + series R, so using an n factor based designer probably isn't going to work well enough.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.