please help a noobie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been into audio for along time mostly car stereo. But since I've grown up and got a house I'm now into home audio. My system right now is B&W cm5's fl and fr. B&W cm center. B&W ds3 surround. It makes a nice sounding ht and does good with music until I put it into 2 channel. I would like to build some dedicated 2 channel speakers. For the drivers I was looking at Alpair drivers. I just dont know the design aspect of the enclosure. Is there plans aready out there and what would you recommend for a nice pair of towers using these brand drivers. Looking for a tweeter, mid and maybe two bass drivers in each.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
bigvag,

Some plans listed here on my site, there are some on Mark's site, and some big ones coming soon on the Wodendesign site.

None of these really need tweeters. Woofers, if needed, are usually best placed in a different place than the mains.

My personal favorites are the EL70eN, but then my Alpair7 & Alpair12 are still on the break-in bench.

What kind of budget do you have?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you are looking at the Alpair, it would be a REAL waste to add a tweeter. Firstly they have better top than many tweeters, and tou would be adding an XO to the mix. Remember XOs are evil.

You could well consider an Alpair 7 used as a mid-tweeter with a woofer crossed over below 400 Hz (less than 300 Hz prefered). This moves the XO into a range where it is MUCH less objectionable.

Have a look at Tysen and follow the links to the spin-offs to get a good idea of what i'm talking about.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To extract low bass out of a FR usually means a BIG box. How big can you accomodate?

Alpair 12 either seems to like being in a BIG box or quite a small one.

And what kind of amplifier will you be using?

Note that samll & sub usually means it can't go all that low. Best bass in a room is usually accomplished with multiple woofers not placed in the same place as the mains.

dave

I was looking to build the dual column air coupler found on marks page. Amp not sure yet this idea has come to me tonight so I still have alot of research to do. I read that the max rms is 50watts for the 12 so it must be a real efficient speaker. I use emotiva right now for my ht set up.

Last edited:
Since I'v never heard a single speaker (full range), what can I expect from it. I don't play my current set up loud until I get drunk and impress my friends, but usually I don't go to loud with it. I was looking at getting the alpair 12, with a emotiva pre amp, and a small emotiva amp to start out with. And when I find a good deal on a tube amp pick that up to use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.