minimising standing waves in a TQWT cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'd like to use this drive unit:

215 SIGNATURE Bicône SUPRAVOX

make this enclosure:

http://www.supravox.fr/kits/tqwt215.pdf

and obtain that:

Supravox Bahia

I already heard these loudspeakers which may be fantastic when correctly used. The only thing I don't like is the little box sound of the cabinet. So would it be possible to do the same enclosure without // faces? I'd like to keep the same cabinet volume: some people think that volume is not important in a TQWT but the results of my experiences say it's important.
Do you know people, examples who tried to do the same thing? Do you have ideas?

I thougt that a compromise could be found in changing only the head of the enclosure and keeping the rest (the tqwt part) the same. The head would be completely unparallel, maybe ovoid...
Is that fool?:confused:

Thanks a lot: David

GM

Joined 2003
".......some people think that volume is not important in a TQWT but the results of my experiences say it's important."

Absolutely, it is after all just another vented alignment at its most basic and in round numbers this cab appears to be only ~100 L net and I calculate that the driver wants to 'feel' ~235 L due to its relatively high Qts, so I figure the 'box' sound is due to it having very little damping inside to keep its mid-bass, LF efficiency as high as practical.

Bottom line, for the best SQ, most extended BW this driver is capable of in a TL, designing from scratch using measured specs is of course the way to go, but it will be much bigger if the published specs are reasonably accurate, so I guess about all you can do is build it and try to use stuffing to find an acceptable balance between reducing its 'box' sound and leaning out the bass too much.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.