Flat Pack company

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what a great idea, you provide the driver they provide the flat pack and can even slightly modify for driver.

And the plexi-sides makes it very visually appealing...

no affiliation, but I sure wish it was my idea. Maybe since the shipping is prohibitive for them to cover North America or Europe, someone in those places with production capability could licence the CNC files or reach some agreement.

Products

cheers
paba

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, Andrew's (aka Atisley) company in Australia.

Locally made flat paks are something i've been encouraging for some time.We are slowly getting into flat paks, we have both uFonken & a number of milliSize ready to go, and Mileva & Floorstander Fonken on special order. We will consider others if they fit within Canada Post's limits.

We don't do translam, it is very wasteful material wise, both because you are tossing lots and wall thickness has to be greater because it doesn't use the material in the best orientation.

There is also a company in Denmark that we have been working with that is in production of some of designs we did for them, and are looking to the logistics of flat-paks. In the UK, Woden-Design will be approaching bespoke order of locally made flat-paks.

Madisound has been doing some flatpaks time, althou older classic designs, that i personally feel at least, are not up to some of those more recently developed. Wilmslow in the UK does some flat-paks and those, fortunately, can now be ordered in plywood.

There is a fellow in Germany doing classic designs, some of the fruhal-horn site and probably others, I'm not sure if he is only doing assembled boxes or flat-paks too, but i bet he could be convinced.

I'm sure this list is not exhaustive.

If you get a translam, i'd stay away from MDF (which i do anyway), more and more reports are coming inof MDF translams that the laminations are breaking in the middle of the MDF.

I hope to see locally made flat-paks as a growing market segment, as it allows more people to diy.

dave

Nice list of options,

speaking of frugal horns and spawns, I would like a Hiro with the two side panels and back panel with CNC grooves to then allow for a slide in fit the other pieces for a nice air tight fit, one can dream right?

Tang Bang also offers two DIY flat pack kits. And I recall seeing a fellow in Japan offering nagoaka style cabs but with curved interiors.

cheers
/paba

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
speaking of frugal horns and spawns, I would like a Hiro with the two side panels and back panel with CNC grooves to then allow for a slide in fit the other pieces for a nice air tight fit, one can dream right?

We did that with the beta run of the FH Mk 1. Turns out to be a real PIA to assemble. The 2nd side either needs to have no grooves or larger grooves to accomodate any (almost inevitable) deviation from perpendicular of each of the many panels.

I meant to mention the TB transmission lines. They thou are made in China with the intention of shipping worldwide.

dave

Yes, Andrew's (aka Atisley) company in Australia.

We don't do translam, it is very wasteful material wise, both because you are tossing lots and wall thickness has to be greater because it doesn't use the material in the best orientation.

If you get a translam, i'd stay away from MDF (which i do anyway), more and more reports are coming inof MDF translams that the laminations are breaking in the middle of the MDF.

dave

Yep, Atisley out of Sydney. IIRC, he appeared to actively use this forum as a source of design info and then to promote his products, whilst under the guise of a DIYer. Competing interests etc. seem to be less of an issue here than on other forums, so perhaps he was not in breech of rules. Ethically? Well... because of my background I am (hyper)sensitive to this issue; many people may wish to ignore me on this topic.

I agree regarding trans-lam; then there are the possible (controversial) health issues with MDF and, I am guessing, some of the paint finishes. At best, a cheap and convenient material.

Cheers
Raymond

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
IIRC, he appeared to actively use this forum as a source of design info and then to promote his products, whilst under the guise of a DIYer. Competing interests etc. seem to be less of an issue here than on other forums, so perhaps he was not in breech of rules.

We don't like the practise unless the person gives back, but there is not much we can do about it.

dave

Good concept....and i've always admired the c-horn however, examine the flat-pack price lists. They are only a fraction reduced from the price of a finished speaker, which means that this guy only accounts for 4 or 500 bucks worth of labor on a typical finished set that takes 4-6 weeks to build?
I would build curvy changs (for looks and sound), and likely be 99.5% of the way there for the sum of $400. This guy knows knows how to design a visually stunning speaker.........needs some help with the flat-pack pricing though.

Hi Dave,

thanks for sharing the challenges that come with CNC groove idea, makes sense... perhaps another way is instead of grooves actual CNC slots right thru the panel and then the inside wood pieces can have tabs (smaller than the edge of the piece) that insert in these slots to hold in place. Not sure in my words convey the picture I'm trying to draw. Along the lines of a Mortise and tenon joint but "right through the panel"...

Alos thanks for the warnings on trans lam designs, but I must admit a certain appeal to them and the fact they allow for curved interiors.

I avoid MDF for everything not just audio. Hate that stuff.

/paba

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
thanks for sharing the challenges that come with CNC groove idea, makes sense... perhaps another way is instead of grooves actual CNC slots right thru the panel and then the inside wood pieces can have tabs (smaller than the edge of the piece) that insert in these slots to hold in place. Not sure in my words convey the picture I'm trying to draw. Along the lines of a Mortise and tenon joint but "right through the panel"...

That may allow for complete assembly before the glue sets up. That would be the only way it would help. Considerably more complex to create the panels. We used CNC for the side panels, and a CNC panel saw for all the interior bits. To do this you would need all CNC and a bit more care with a dryfit and detailing.

Alos thanks for the warnings on trans lam designs, but I must admit a certain appeal to them and the fact they allow for curved interiors.

That is its big appeal.

:)

dave

Hi Dave,

/paba

no doubt about it, no matter what the fabrication method, curves cost money , and they're not necessarily what you'd want on the inside of a loudspeaker enclosure - particularly manifold designs that incorporate hard angles for reasons other than material break-out or ease of assembly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.