Dallas II plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys im new to the forums I have been working with some fullrange drivers recently, and came across the Dallas II for the Fostex drivers. It seems to be something that I would like to try. But I cant seem to find the plans anywhere the links to fullrangedriver site are nolonger available. Does anyone happen to have a pdf file handy?

Hi there: I've read the complements that Ron's enclosures have received for their generally even reponse and as one DIY'er commented "bass to be unlike anything else" [in the F/R relm?] In trying to learn about these enclosures, I would like to establish the lower bass capability: Will Austin II and/or Dallas II reproduce essentially flat from mid range down to the lowest note on the piano (27.5hz)? I'm more interested in how the bass response is evaluated by listeners rather than listening to graphs.
...regards, Michael

I have a couple of other drawings, not PDF, but are Ron's drawings none the less.

I'll see if I can find them and post.

I've done a Sketchup to use full 3/4" material, that I plan to build, it's just a couple of projects down the list now....

I'm getting ready to break-in the drivers, and have a Transmission line project to complete, then on to the Dallas II"s.

Found the drawings, I got these from another member, Morton Teinum.

Hope these are helpful.

John

Attachments

• 4115843990_e6a33dc979.jpg
    4115843990_e6a33dc979.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 817
  • 4115844292_8a67eb2101.jpg
    4115844292_8a67eb2101.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 784
  • 4115844150_005f953cdf.jpg
    4115844150_005f953cdf.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 765
Hi there: I've read the complements that Ron's enclosures have received for their generally even reponse and as one DIY'er commented "bass to be unlike anything else" [in the F/R relm?] In trying to learn about these enclosures, I would like to establish the lower bass capability: Will Austin II and/or Dallas II reproduce essentially flat from mid range down to the lowest note on the piano (27.5hz)? I'm more interested in how the bass response is evaluated by listeners rather than listening to graphs.
...regards, Michael

If you go to the Old Fullranger forum, and search Dallas II, there's a number of postings there where Ron comments on what they will do, and where they xo from TL to horn, and how much bass reinforcement they'll provide, tweaks, etc. IIRC they will start to roll off in the Low 50Hz range, I do not know what the slope of that roll off is. I do recall several posters not using these with subs because they were satisfied with the bass.

Hope this is helpful
John

I am making dallas ii cabinets. Drawings are from frugalhorn site. But i am not sure are they correct. I attached pictures. In the turn the way gets narrower. From 52mm to 38mm? Is it correct?

Attachments

• B18F65F8-4A22-4324-83A4-E068A7865AC4.jpeg
    B18F65F8-4A22-4324-83A4-E068A7865AC4.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 5B4F61FA-A0B2-45C0-906C-ADFA277E75F6.jpeg
    5B4F61FA-A0B2-45C0-906C-ADFA277E75F6.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 272
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The drawings i redid accurately mimic Ron’s original drawings (as left behind in pdfs and images). An expansion in a horn (or TL, a pipe in general) has the effect of acting as a LP filter (a good thing) — Might Mouse posted some of the original drawings, i have a lot more.

What it looks like also depends on where you choose to measure. It is an approximation of a curve.

Ron modeled this horn extensively and if it is there, i expect there is a reason.

If you need a small horn for FE206, this is the one.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Will Austin II and/or Dallas II reproduce essentially flat from mid range down to the lowest note on the piano (27.5hz)?

The back horn part goes up wherever Ron has chosen to acoustally XO the BLH. Above that you get whatever the driver does as a direct radiator.

Even the big Woden Horns don’t go that low.

I’d guess Dallas should reach an octave above your specified limit. Just a note: vanishingly low numbers of speakers reach your desired LF without biggish dedicated woofers.

dave

Based on my experiences with room/corner gain, even modest drivers could reach 30hz but not very flat. If you can add EQ for the low part <200hz then it would be different.

My Alpair 10.3 sealed goes down to 30hz with room gain even though simulated -3db is somewhere around 80hz. Of course xmax limitations start coming up, you can't get much volume out of the smaller drivers at 30hz.

About 9 years too late in answering that particular question, guys. ;) But to add a brief contribution:

-No, it wasn't designed to achieve sub-bass frequencies. It's good for the high 40Hz regions with respectable linearity; call it conservative 50Hz.

-Don't run away too much with pure horn theory. A fascinating field, and extremely useful to a point, but in many practical designs it only gets you so far in and of itself, since most bass horns are not impedance matched to their QW cut-off frequency, and those that are usually employ boundary loading to keep the size sane. However: that does not mean that any resonant portion of the BW automatically suffers from issues with response linearity. That depends on the design specifics, the driving amplifier & its interaction with the speaker, and ultimately the room response.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.