Re: Egg Tray Carton - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2010, 04:45 AM   #1
monreq is offline monreq  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Egg Tray Carton

Hello! I just want to share the effect using egg tray carton. I used it in my DIY bass reflex project for Audio Nirvana Super 8.

Here are the pictures:
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I just used carpenter's glue and thumb tacks in installing the egg tray carton for speaker insulation. I chose egg tray carton because it is cheap and I think it is effective.

Here is the video link to give you an idea how it sounds:

YouTube - My Audio Nirvana Super 8 Pointsource Speaker Best Performance Part 1

Thank you.
Old 12th February 2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It's only think pulp card so I don't see how it would achieve much apart from minor scattering at HF. It won't mass load the walls and doesn't provide much in the way of absorption. I've read one diy article in the past which specifically said not to use it.

Have you tried with and without, say one speaker with it removed and a track played in mono? (From the YouTube video, I'm guessing the Yamaha amp has a mono switch - something I wish modern amps would include more often.)

Regular wadding or carpet felt will almost certainly be more effective.
Old 12th February 2010, 07:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Will certainly break up 'standing waves' but I wonder about them creating a sound of their own due to their thin construction.
Old 13th February 2010, 03:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
It's only think pulp card so I don't see how it would achieve much apart from minor scattering at HF. It won't mass load the walls and doesn't provide much in the way of absorption. I've read one diy article in the past which specifically said not to use it.

Have you tried with and without, say one speaker with it removed and a track played in mono? (From the YouTube video, I'm guessing the Yamaha amp has a mono switch - something I wish modern amps would include more often.)

Regular wadding or carpet felt will almost certainly be more effective.
I tried it before I finalize it. The speaker cabinet without an egg tray carton was not focus (HF, MID, LF)...and has something like a honk sound. But when I use the speaker cabinet with egg tray carton, the overall frequencies were focused and very natural. You can hear it on the video and the sound is very much better on actual listening test.

So, as per experience on egg tray carton, is fine with me. Since I am using an Audio Nirvana Super 8 speaker in bass reflex design cabinet, lots of my friends were amaze with the very cheap egg tray carton for its natural sound reproduction. Also, I don't put too much insulation when I use point source speakers. Too much insulation kills the natural sound reproduction of the speakers. That is why open baffle speaker design has more natural sound reproduction because it has no insulation.

You can try it for yourself with a single driver speaker. Try to experiment it by yourself before you believe others. Good luck.
Old 13th February 2010, 03:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InclinedPlane View Post
Will certainly break up 'standing waves' but I wonder about them creating a sound of their own due to their thin construction.
You can try it for yourself, if you like to. So that you will experience what I am talking about.
Old 13th February 2010, 03:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

What is the Insulation/Filling For?

The main reason for using insulation in a box is to reduce standing waves. Reflections of sound off walls and features of a box will mix with other waves inside the box. They will add or subtract depending on phase and time delay. This family of standing waves adds to the sound of the box, especially in the midrange region. You don't want the box creating sounds of its own. The standing waves can also excite resonances of the panels, making additional noise.

In summary, the speaker will "think" it is in a slightly bigger box with the insulation. The box without filling will sound louder, but the extra volume is the added coloration caused by the standing waves. Thus, as long as you hear the proper timbre of the vocals and instruments, egg carton is effective. I experimented it with my two friends who are familiar with instruments actual sound. If the sound gives a flat response, then, the insulation is effective.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 13th February 2010, 05:12 AM   #7
godfrey is offline godfrey  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Lots of years ago I heard about people covering their walls with egg trays for sound absorbtion.

Not sure how effective it was, but I always wondered who got to eat all the eggs
Old 13th February 2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you like the sound, that's fine.
Old 13th February 2010, 11:22 AM   #9
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Lots of years ago I heard about people covering their walls with egg trays for sound absorbtion.

Not sure how effective it was, but I always wondered who got to eat all the eggs
I have been in a studio, which was made like that. It worked well.

Magura
Old 13th February 2010, 12:05 PM   #10
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Lots of years ago... ...who got to eat all the eggs
During my "band in the house" phase, we lined the walls with those crate liners.

Quote:
It worked well.
+1...though no one ever went outside while we were making noise to check the effect.

However, as it relates to the interior of speakers, You may want to consider the resonances that result from a particular set of internal dimensions...size your casework to avoid them...and brace the larger panels so they don't vibrate.

Hide this!Advertise here!