Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2010, 12:30 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I'd say they could be useful inside the box despite the fact that they steal space inside (so the internal volume could be filled with spray foam ?!) and another layer of felt-polysomething should be added on the ( odd-shaped ) surface ..well ,depending on where they are located and in which kind of box.
Old 13th February 2010, 12:40 PM   #12
tvrgeek is online now tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Lots of years ago I heard about people covering their walls with egg trays for sound absorbtion.

Not sure how effective it was, but I always wondered who got to eat all the eggs
Not very, and a horrible fire hazard. Fortunately we have better materials like treated open cell foam and compressed fiber that actually absorb sound and won't kill you. People used to use cork too; useless, but people still think it works.

Inside a speaker, well I can think of a dozen better materials, but don't knock something if a particular build works.
Old 13th February 2010, 01:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InclinedPlane View Post
Will certainly break up 'standing waves'

Will certainly have no effect on standing waves as there is not sufficient thickness for any meaningful absorption at low frequencies. So, pretty much no absorption under a few hundred Hz and a combination of absorption and reflection above resulting in a jagged response. It may suit a particular speaker if you are very, very lucky. Same applies if used to correct room acoustics.
Old 13th February 2010, 01:06 PM   #14
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monreq View Post
What is the Insulation/Filling For?

The main reason for using insulation in a box is to reduce standing waves.
I think that the main reason is to reduce cabinet resonances, not standing waves. Although, standing waves can be somewhat of an issue.

The main thing is to convert interior acoustic energy into heat, rather than coupling that acoustic energy into mechanical movement of the cabinet or affecting the woofer's cone.

Extensive testing of materials have been done on this subject and from everything I have read, cardboard has not made the grade.

Rock wool gets high points in this department.
Old 13th February 2010, 06:46 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Rock Wool? Is that another term for moss?
Old 13th February 2010, 07:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
Lots of years ago I heard about people covering their walls with egg trays for sound absorbtion.

Not sure how effective it was, but I always wondered who got to eat all the eggs

yes yes many years ago when i was a youngling, i lined the walls of my studio with the stuff. semi-worked until i got good enough building louder speakers, then i was able to turn them into rattling panels. it was like having a snare drum on the walls.
Old 13th February 2010, 08:39 PM   #17
tvrgeek is online now tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Rock wool is another type of spun mineral fiber insulation. Much like fiberglass. Made from slag I believe. Don't see it much anymore.
Old 2nd March 2010, 01:39 AM   #18
monreq is offline monreq  Philippines
diyAudio Member

YouTube - Audio Nirvana Super 8 Listening Test on Vinyl
I just use the egg tray carton because it is cheap. My preferred speaker box insulation is a Bio Aire Foam by Uratex. However, since the egg tray carton did some magic...I think it will stay for a while.

Thanks guys.
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:30 AM   #19
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I think it's a viable idea, and i've heard of people having done it before to good effect. It could be perfect in a situation where you wanted maximum diffusion with little damping, and it's a lot cheaper than those thingeys fostex sells...
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:37 AM   #20
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

there's an audiophile version of egg trays - IIRC they're recommended more for vented systems than sealed BassLine a new acoustic sound invention attributed to acoustic refinement for bass reflex speakers

ah - here's some new trays http://cgi.ebay.com/Paper-Mache-Quai...item439afaf433

70 12"x12" trays shipped for $35
http://cgi.ebay.com/70-Egg-Trays-12-...item562e65e409

Last edited by freddi; 2nd March 2010 at 03:03 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!