Baffle width. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2010, 03:05 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Baffle width.

HI,

I will be replacing the satelite speaker on my desktop PC speaker, With home made ones.

I will be using one 3" fullrange driver for each channel in an open baffle configuration, Question is , What would be the right baffle width for it to operate down to about 300hz properly ?

Thank you.
Old 9th February 2010, 04:48 PM   #2
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are looking for a baffle width that has no baffle step down to 300hz, the answer is, "much wider than you can put on a desktop." Like 15". But, I assume these things are going to be fairly close to, or sitting directly on, the desk. And maybe close to a wall. That will make for some substantial interaction/reinforcement. You could spend some considerable time simulating it (maybe Edge would be ideal?). I'd probably just build them whatever size looks good and call it a day.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 9th February 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
preiter is offline preiter  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't know how well this would work, but if you have them right up against the edge of a flatscreen monitor, that would effectively extend the baffle in that direction. Then maybe the other edge could curve around the side of the desk?

You could always experiment with cardboard.

But in general a 3" driver and the confined space of a desktop are both bad news for open baffle. I do love the OB sound, but for my PC speakers I went for sealed.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:52 PM   #4
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Oops, somehow I was just thinking of baffle width, not an OB! How about a U shaped baffle? Make it as wide as you can, and then give it some "wings". For the size you are building, I would absolutely experiment with cardboard.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Hide this!Advertise here!