Baffle width.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI,

I will be replacing the satelite speaker on my desktop PC speaker, With home made ones.

I will be using one 3" fullrange driver for each channel in an open baffle configuration, Question is , What would be the right baffle width for it to operate down to about 300hz properly ?

Thank you.

If you are looking for a baffle width that has no baffle step down to 300hz, the answer is, "much wider than you can put on a desktop." Like 15". But, I assume these things are going to be fairly close to, or sitting directly on, the desk. And maybe close to a wall. That will make for some substantial interaction/reinforcement. You could spend some considerable time simulating it (maybe Edge would be ideal?). I'd probably just build them whatever size looks good and call it a day.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

I don't know how well this would work, but if you have them right up against the edge of a flatscreen monitor, that would effectively extend the baffle in that direction. Then maybe the other edge could curve around the side of the desk?

You could always experiment with cardboard.

But in general a 3" driver and the confined space of a desktop are both bad news for open baffle. I do love the OB sound, but for my PC speakers I went for sealed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.