My realistic cd-3300 boombox, impressive for its age.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope this is the right section to post this... So i have a realistic cd-3300 boombox from march-1987 It has served me well for the 5 years i have owner it, it sound decent and worked well. Recently I decided to check on those old capacitors, and I tested it out by putting newer ones in, and wow this thing came alive. for it having 4" free-air woofers at 4rms each I am amazed. I tan sine-wave testes and I could hear down to 30hz, and 40hz was actually loud. Not bad for little 4" woofers. especially since there from 1987 in a boombox. :cool: Also to add my left woofers voicecoil rattles a little bit, i can tell its a tiny bit melted, probally from me running it so much off of bad capacitors, all that amp distortion... I wish I could find the same woofers, but thats not gonna happen. So I went digging for the best 4" woofers that would fit in here and work free-air. Please let me know if these will sound as good as my current speakers? Boston Acoustics 4 1/2" Woofers (pr) New Unused.. - eBay (item 360225641845 end time Feb-11-10 12:21:31 PST)

Well I got the woofers, they didn't fit at first, but I modified it so they would fit, and well they aren't as loud as the woofer that came with the boombox. They keep bottoming out, and they lack and good output?? I know they are more designed for home use, but I would of thought they would be better than these old 23 year old woofers, with accordion surrounds. The old woofers actually bumped and sounded like a tiny subwoofer was hiding in there, but these new boston woofers, just kind of suck, they bottom out really easy. what do you guys think I should do, either way, It needs a new left woofer, so what do i do to fix this.

I wish someone would of put there 2 cents in before I bought the boston woofers. I hope to find something good, this time instead of wasting money. If anyone knows of a good woofer let me know. The current woofers can hit down to an audible 30hz, i'm not saying its a flat response down to there but it does hit it, and it hits 50hz great. I just want the same good subwoofer like bump it has now. I love that.

Ive already looked for this boombox and similar models. I can't find any. I did run across one once a couple years back, but that was before the woofer started to rattle. now I can't find them anywhere. If anything do you know how to fix the rattle noise? the woofer still works it just rattles a lot, in sync to the movement of the cone. Got any ideas?

Don't give up the search. Check Ebay once a week for a few years if necessary. Eventually one will come up. I've seen speakers and creations I never knew existed there.

Have Radio Shack pull the info on that discontinued stuff. You might be able to get more info on what parts were used.

You could replace the amplifier section to give you maybe, 15 watts instead of 4.

Check with a speaker reconing shop. Check with a few.

The amplifier is pretty good on this, after i replaced the capacitors it put out some real power for the little watts it is. Its able to push full size speakers. It has a external speaker jack, plus a line in and a line out jack. I will keep looking> I wish they still made boomboxs like they used to. I have tried a few new boombox's. I have even tried the new ones with an actual subwoofer in it and they don't sound as good as this old thing. Thats why I like it so much, its a vintage boombox that rivals 2/3rd's of the newer boombox's. only ones that sound as good or better cost well over a $100, so its not worth it to me. but i'm sure this thing was expensive. it has a cassette deck, a tri-laser cd player, am/fm, line in, line out, and external speaker jacks. Plus it has excellent fm reception.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.