Morgan Jones "Arpeggio" Loudspeaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Variac is online now Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Default Morgan Jones "Arpeggio" Loudspeaker

This is a thread to discuss the Arpeggio loudspeaker designed by Morgan Jones and described in an article by him in the "Articles" section
Old 4th February 2010, 07:49 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Some page by page comments (most have already been seem on these pages by me or others) and some extensions & support for what is written.

I am very attracted to the concept & execution of this design. They look fantastic.

Page 6:

Quote:
The slight blip at 1kHz is not a measurement error but is thought to be a dust cap/voice coil mechanical resonance being coupled back into the electrical impedance
Attached areimpedance plots of the same FE166e with and without a dustcap. Also note that the rise at high frequencies is about half what Morgan illustrates (meaning that you may need to play with the zobel).

Note: i have measures of some 20 other FE166 so i can check consistency.

Page 8:

Note that the analysis of edge diffraction ripple is only valid for on-axis listening, and the further off-axis you are the more the end result will move away.

Page 9:

A more generalized treatment of Passive Line Level Baffle Step Compensation by Paul Joppa (now at Bottlehead).

Page 10: Attached is a key diagram from Tappan's paper.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif FE166-cap-v-nocap.gif (15.6 KB, 2226 views)
File Type: gif panel-bracing-strategies.gif (24.7 KB, 2050 views)
Old 4th February 2010, 08:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I could be misreading the notes on standing waves (I've got a squawking headache so I'm not at my best this morning) but they look to me to be related to the moving fibre notions largely discredited by Hersh & Walker, G. Augspurger, & M. King.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 4th February 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 4th February 2010, 08:29 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Continued, these are points i have been hammering away at for years.

Page 13: The brace is placed dead-centre. This is the worst possible place for it. Moving it over by a panel width even can make a differemce.

As anyone who follows my designs i like to brace the driver to the rest of the box, for this one i'd likely use 2 verticle brace, one right behind the driver.

Page 14: I strongly believe that MDF is not a suitable material for building loudspeakers out of. Use 18mm Baltic Birch (or similar) and you will end up with a better speaker with greater downward dynamic range.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif panel-resonance.gif (6.4 KB, 2155 views)
Old 4th February 2010, 08:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I fear the minor queries raised thus far could seem depressingly negative -they're not meant that way of course, so I'll quickly get in at this point that irrespective of these, I still think it's a neat little box & should give decent results for anyone wanting something along these lines.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 4th February 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 4th February 2010, 08:53 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Page 15: Because it is so hard to compare 2 separate graphs i have created an overlay of Figure 19 (black) and figure 23 (blue) for easier comparison.

Morgan, how thick is the felt, and is it wool, corrom, or polyester felt?

As Toole has shown, on-axis FR is not a great indicator of sonic performance. It would be nice to see a set of 10 degree vertical & horizonatal plots (but i'll take the listening results as fine)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: png figure23-19.png (16.2 KB, 2117 views)
Old 4th February 2010, 09:20 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A very good article, and nice to see Morgan do a sealed box that only goes to 85 Hz, This meshes well with Toole & Geddes suggesting that this kind of performance mated with multiple mono woofers for a full-range system.

This is also somewhat similar in concept (with added woofers) of the new Bottlehead system. Morgan's speaker has had a lot more thought put into it.

The basic configuration is also broadly similar to a quick-n-nasty break-in box we made for FE167 (quick-n-nasty hence the standard BR port) and the Classic GR Fonken so you can see why i am attracted to this design. Note that the GR when finally done had a bevel on the vertical edges.

In the spirit of articles being a stimulus for putting new twists on things -- Every designer has, at least, a slightly different take on things: these are things that i would at least consider changing.

I would build this from plywood, enhance the bracing, and use one of my fully treated FE166eN (or at least add phase plugs).

As well, from experiments we have conducted with FE126 + series R vrs FE127, i would consider executing something similar with FE167 so as to reduce the series R. And based on the very good results we have had with the high resistance ports in terms of getting away from the things i don't like about both sealed & ported enclosures, i'd would probably turn into a Classic GR Fonken167 allowing us to eliminate the series R completely (& possibly some of the BSC)

Very good article Morgan. Kudos.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR-Fonken-pics.jpg (99.0 KB, 2125 views)
File Type: png classicGR-3D.png (18.1 KB, 798 views)
File Type: jpg FE167-quick-n-nasty-br.jpg (52.1 KB, 912 views)
Old 4th February 2010, 09:22 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I fear the minor queries raised thus far could seem depressingly negative -they're not meant that way of course, so I'll quickly get in at this point that irrespective of these, I still think it's a neat little box & should give decent results for anyone wanting something along these lines.
Agreed. Think of the comments as polish on an excellent basic design.

dave
Old 4th February 2010, 10:28 AM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They sounded very nice with the Scrapbox Challenge, even better with one of DHTRob's amps. The unfortunate part was that TheEyeLady saw them and immediately demanded that I make my speakers that small, nicely designed (visually), and unobtrusive. I tried to explain the realities of dynamic range and frequency response, but these fell on, errr, deaf ears.
Old 4th February 2010, 10:41 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you subscribe to Toole & Geddes the mains need not be large... and the size of the woofers can be distributed thruout the room. If you sawed off the top of your NHT clones and optimally placed the woofers, yours would be even less intrusive

Unless of course if you have gotten the Acoustats back in action. No way to shrink those.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!