Choosing a Cabinet Design for the RS100.

What cabinet should jlux use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Based on reviews on this site, and on zaph audio I purchased two RS 100-4 drivers from Dayton, and I'll be using them with a TA2020 T-amp. I'll be listening to lots of hard electronic music, so good bass is a priority. Now that I have the drivers, I can't choose which cabinet design to go with.

Design choice considerations:
I don't want to build a huge tower, so BIB and other giant designs are out. Since I live in Africa, the woodworking will be done by a craftsman for about $10. These guys are good so moderately complicated designs wouldn't be too much of a problem, though I have no way to get custom ports or anything over here. I'd like to use an existing design, rather than rolling the dice on something I made myself.

Here's three designs that I'm looking at: Two of them are cabinets for other speakers, which is not ideal, and the other one, though designed for the RS100 hasn't been built yet by anybody! Please help me figure this out!, which one is the best option?

1) This cabinet DelSol - Aura NS3-194-8E - Inexpensive DIY Fullrange Bookshelf Speaker originally designed for the del sol speaker. tube Ported on the bottom.
DelSol02.jpg
Credit: Jesse Ingham

2) Mini Fonken http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/planet-10-hifi/154103-millisize-me.html#post1964737 Originally designed for the Fostex FE 127. Slot ported on the front.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
credit: planet 10

3) RS 100 Transmission line Dayton rs100-4 in tapered TL? - Techtalk at Parts-Express.com A transmission line design vented to the back. Hasn't been built yet, but seems good when modeled in software and spreadsheets.
attachment.php
Credit: Jamikkim

The TQWT (nee 'TL') above would be a better bet than trying to stuff it into a box that it isn't designed for, although it's not perfect.

OTOH, the driver is small, isn't particularly sensitive, the amp isn't one that is ideal for such speakers, & you're listening to hard electronic music? Not the sort of combination that immediately leaps to mind (no offense).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1st some semantics,

There is no mini Fonken, it is a milliFonken (mFonken). And as the range of enclosures in the milltSize article should illustrate, each one is tuned to the specific driver. (i've fixed that in your poll)

Also a Fonken is a Fostex + Onken, so you'd have to call a milliSize for the RS100 something like a Donken.

The idea of a small slot-loaded enclosure is not a bad one, but the numbers need to be run to see if it would work, and if it would, the port slot spacer adjusted (and length possibly)

I won't do a TL unless someone has worked it thru MJK software

The deSol cabinet i could never get excited about, as it was just a WAG to start.

A quick sim suggests that 3.5 litre is and appropriate size for a miniOnken-style box, which puts the 4 litre/25" TL in the ballpark (and it would also be easy to stuff until aperiodic)

So i choose none of the above, with the TL as the 2nd choice.

dave

Thanks guys. This has been really helpful!
To ScottMoose: Yeah, I've heard that the T-amp isn't the bass-iest. I meant to say, I'm hoping for a cabinet that will get good sounding bass from this driver.

to Planet 10: Thanks for posting, I noticed that you were active on both of the threads I linked, and I'm glad you posted here as well. But uh, what is a WAG?

I'm kind of a noob to the DIY community and this has been a huge help.

There is never a best design...

Never say never ;), there is a technically ideal sealed, reflex, horn, etc. alignment, i.e. widest flat BW in the smallest bulk for a given driver compliance, but they rarely meet the needs of the app unless the correct driver specs are chosen and in the case of the RS100, its F3 would be on the far side of 150 Hz unless horn loaded.

GM

Never say never ;), there is a technically ideal sealed, reflex, horn, etc. alignment, i.e. widest flat BW in the smallest bulk for a given driver compliance, but they rarely meet the needs of the app unless the correct driver specs are chosen and in the case of the RS100, its F3 would be on the far side of 150 Hz unless horn loaded.
GM

Good to see you back Greg! :) Hope everything's as OK as possible at your end; will be in touch soon.

Understood and again, the technically 'best' for the RS100 yields too high an F3, ergo a technically poor driver choice for the OP's stated app, though of course it can be 'forced' into a non-ideal alignment that may have an acceptable set of trade-offs.

GM

Oh well, I just 'call'em like I see'em', so any folks that don't want an honest opinion based on whatever accrued knowledge I have can always just ignore any of my postings they don't want to 'hear'. For the rest, I figure I'm maybe helping them to make a more informed decision as to what path to take to achieve whatever audio nirvana they're seeking.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.