Full Range Speaker Choice - Help Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,

First post so please be gentle :)

I am after some recommendations on a full range speaker to build. I have gone through a few of the standard sites (frugal horn etc) and have down loaded more plans than I know what to do with. I am interested in something like Saburo (Spawn Family) speakers however I have read that these can be somewhat sensitive to placement. One of the speakers will only have 400mm - 500mm clearance from the corner so this could be a problem.

I would love to hear what people would suggest for a location like this. I am fairly new to building speakers however I have been woodworking for a few years so more difficult builds shouldn't be excluded.

I have attached a couple of photos of my latest woodworking project.

Thanks,

Tony

Attachments

• Rocker 1.JPG
    Rocker 1.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 356
  • Rocker 3.JPG
    Rocker 3.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 351
  • Rocker 5.JPG
    Rocker 5.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 348
That my friend is one nice rocker! Excellent work. I too work with wood, as a hobby, and am interested in building speakers. Mainly because I just built an entertainment center and now would like speakers to match.

The short research I've done has led me to the Alpair 12 from Mark Audio. But the enclosures they are showing are just simple boxes. I'd like to build something more creative. I'll probably come up with my own design using their recommended internal deminsions and porting.

I know I'm gonna get beat up here, but I'd like to use solid wood - walnut. What's your approach going to be?

There are a wealth of choices for proven FR designs to fit all sorts of situations. What kind of amplifiers do you plan on using?

TDR, do you have size restrictions? Have you seen the tease pictures of Avebury?

Solid wood is a real challenge to build with.

dave

I have a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 amp on its way to me at the moment. I have read some stellar reviews about this amp and what it can do with full range speakers as well as sensitive multiways.

I am happy to be building in either solid timber or plywood but am likely to lean towards plywood for the obvious reasons. I was thinking of using Tasmanian Blackwood if I decide to use solid timber.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

There are a wealth of choices for proven FR designs to fit all sorts of situations. What kind of amplifiers do you plan on using?

TDR, do you have size restrictions? Have you seen the tease pictures of Avebury?

Solid wood is a real challenge to build with.

dave

I kinda have size restrictions - I'm thinkin an envelope of 40hx12wx18d is near the limits. I have not seen the Avebury tease pics. I will do a quick search.

My amp is a Yamaha htr5940 home theatre 6.1, and I'm hoping that's not a problem. The manual said 105w a channel. I'm fairly certain it's junk. I can get whats right (although I have no idea what that would be), but I'd like to do the speakers first.

The simple story is this. I built an entertainment center for the TV, decided to get new speakers because mine are old, ugly, and don't sound right. I came across this site by accident, and your frugal site, and now I'm totally intrigued with doing it myself.

I've read a thousand posts over the last week and for some reason the full range stuff has captured me. I think it's the simplicity of the componentry coupled with sophisticated boxes. And by simple I only mean one speaker and a wire in a box. I'm certain that speaker is quite sophisticated. I want to build something with a high cool factor (visually) that also sounds great. I'm leaning towards the alpair speakers - not sure of the size, but according to posts I've read the 12 gets high marks.

I have a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 amp on its way to me at the moment. I have read some stellar reviews about this amp and what it can do with full range speakers as well as sensitive multiways.

I am happy to be building in either solid timber or plywood but am likely to lean towards plywood for the obvious reasons. I was thinking of using Tasmanian Blackwood if I decide to use solid timber.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Tasmanian blackwood. Wow! What's that rocker made of?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I kinda have size restrictions - I'm thinkin an envelope of 40hx12wx18d is near the limits. I have not seen the Avebury tease pics... Yamaha htr5940

There is something special about a good FR box :)

Avebury is 72x10x15" HxWxD (1829x254x381mm)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The A12 seems to really like either a really big box or a really small one (the miniOnken style box i'm working on is 13 litre -- creating a real challenge to fit such a large driver in them.

The MA drivers like the higher DF SS amps, but the resolution of the A12 will likely have you looking for a better sounding amp sooner of later. The Fostex boxes would be even more telling of its quality (because they are more efficient and using power levels where the Yamaha is at its worst)

dave

There is something special about a good FR box :)

The A12 seems to really like either a really big box or a really small one (the miniOnken style box i'm working on is 13 litre -- creating a real challenge to fit such a large driver in them.

Looking forward to seeing that miniOnken style.

The MA drivers like the higher DF SS amps, but the resolution of the A12 will likely have you looking for a better sounding amp sooner of later. The Fostex boxes would be even more telling of its quality (because they are more efficient and using power levels where the Yamaha is at its worst)

I am neophite. Can you give me a couple of examples for the amp? Including one from the frugal perspective.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.