Tangband W8-1808 and PE Buyout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought these two lovely drivers and listened to them last night. The TB cost around $184 and the PE Buyout $10. They both make music and do not require a tweeter (the PE Buyout could use help on top and bottom tho). I used them both in the same small (maybe half a cubic foot box) sealed, but lossy, box. Tweeters disconnected.

The TB is an amazingly fine sounding driver (even in this box) and does everything right. My hat's off to the designer. They sounded spitty at first listen which i thought would be a major flaw but that went away within minutes (so strange). I sat back and enjoyed this speaker for nearly an hour. A friend listened with me and also thought they were incredibly good. They have tone and depth to the sound. I've heard this with the Fostex 168S in the past and believe it to be the mark of better drivers. Instruments and vocals were easily followed. They are on the warm side (which i prefer) and everything sounds natural (trumpet, sax and stringed bass all sounded wonderful and clearly in their own space). Brushed cymbals were naturally portrayed too. They move a lot with power so be careful!

The PE Buyout is not as good of course sounding flatter, smaller and congested in comparison with less extension on top and bottom but... they also sounded pleasant and could be used as a full range driver without any assistance to good effect. I may drop them into the Straight Pipes i have or simply put them into lossy boxes and leave them alone to enjoy in my office space. At $10 every full range driver fan should buy them. I feel they are a bargain bc the mids are grain free (but kazoo sounding at first listen until you adjust to their balance) and are totally unoffensive. Some warmth with a forward mid... recessed treble but you can hear everything if you choose to listen carefully. Oddball parameters to play with but not sure this driver is too picky about where it goes... meant for ceiling, but it's a bargain full ranger at triple the price imo... Listening to them now as TBs sit in boxes, protected like jewelry. Hope i'm not afraid to use them, LOL.

Parts-Express.com:*Tang Band W8-1808 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1808 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier

Parts-Express.com:*8" Full-Range Ceiling Speaker | 8" Full-Range Ceiling Speaker public address pa distributed audio paging system 70v middle atlantic ga-8

Godzilla

Attachments

• TB-PE.jpg
    TB-PE.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,339
Last edited:
>>> Do you think cone and basket treatment would help the PE buyout?

Don't see why rope caulk on rear of basket wouldnt help. The speaker is pretty lightweight. But it looks well made and the cone and wizzer are perfectly lined up and look sturdy. The basket is the cheapest part probably. The surround is pretty stiff. Not much movement on the cone. It's pretty simple looking... like a really nice piece of black cardboard suspended by an accordian surround. Maybe a phase plug? Cut them up and paint them if you like. I may play around with them at some point but for now just enjoying them stock.

Godzilla

i know you're just futzing around but is that tb in a sealed or vented box? only asking because i'm interested in 1808 and 1772. if sealed i've a pair of epi 100 8" driver minimal x-over sealed box's i could do the same with to get the ball rolling with the 1808 who's manufacture fq resp plot looks more benign to me.
please keep us posted on your tb's progress.

Yes, i am futzing. I want you to realize the W8-1808 does not fit into a normal 7.125" hole. It fits in a 7.625" hole so it may or may not fit the EPI cutout. I was at the hardware store today and cut some wood to get these drivers on an open baffle (with bass support) this weekend. The bass they have is very 'textured' and natural sounding to me. I can easily see someone putting these into a simple box (small, medium or large) and enjoying just like that. I have not figured a port size yet. The box i had them in was sealed but their are a few screws missing from the tweeter (which is disconnected) and the woofer so i'd consider it a 'lossy' or aperiodic box. You may be able to seal this driver up in a small box and sit them on top of H-frames or some kind of subwoofer and really have something special. The treble is slightly soft but accurate and realistic sounding. Brushed cymbals sounded very natural to me. I will play with adding a tweeter but do not think it needs one. The only potential issue with this driver, as far as i can see, is power handling. I will continue to futz now!

Godzilla

TB W8-1808 or TB W8-1772? I was just getting ready to buy the 1772, but the graph looks like top end is a little smoother. Anyone listen to both? Looking at BIB, or maybe ChileChang? Will use with SET300b amp. Did I see a thread for the TB W8-1772? Maybe I should ask there? BTW I will by the PE close out...can't beat the price.

I think this one may be better.

Parts-Express.com: Goldwood GW-215/40/8 15" OEM Woofer 40 oz. | woofer gw-215/40/8 15" woofer shielded woofer midbass goldwood pismo series PismoWoof123008

I nearly bought this one bc it's qts is just perfect for ob and the efficiency is higher than the one mentioned above. Probably both will provide plenty of grunt.

Yes, the PE Buyout is probably 88 or 89db per watt and yes, the TB sounded more efficient (rated at 93 but probably closer to 91 or 92 in my estimation). I hope to have the TB on open baffle this weekend... but need to cut holes to accommodate it first. I will pop the PE Buyout in with the Alpha 15's i have in the Boomer. Will compare to B20 and Betsy.

Godzilla

Try the W8-1808 in a bigger box

The W8-1808 is a great full range driver. I put mine in a box with an approximate internal volume of 89 liters. I added a PE port 260-403 to back. It will reproduce a high hat cymbal and rattle the walls at the same time. The midrange is great as well. Claire Martin's new "Modern Art" album sounds amazing through these drivers.

If anyone is interested in seeing the physical differences between the TB, B20, Betsy and PE Buyout, here's a pic.

TB = heavyweight
B20 = light heavyweight
Betsy = welterweight
PE Buyout = lightweight

I think the B20 would make the best weapon.

Soundwise, imo:

TB = lots of 'tone' detailed with 3d imaging
B20 = mellow, slightly veiled, needs tweeter
Betsy = forward, dynamic, fast
PE Buyout = neutral mids, slight garble, soft on top and bottom

I enjoy all of them. Don't really have enough experience with TB yet. Also, the Betsy i have is the wizzerless kind. PE Buyout can sound really garbled at times... not sure my driver is working properly. B20 sounds veiled compared to all the above but seems to be able to handle the most power.

Attachments

• tb-buyout.jpg
    tb-buyout.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 651
I think the B20 would make the best weapon.
lol, like a sonic cannon( Weapons: Sonic Cannon ),
or long range acoustic device LRAD ( BBC NEWS | Africa | Cruise lines turn to sonic weapon ):D
All kidding aside thanks for your impressions. I like everything about the betsy except forwardness, perhaps the next version will address that. The TB seems promising, dare i say e-sigma killer? One other thing i'm curious about. Are you finding the 1808 can run without the need for bsc or other correction network, unlike the 1772 which Bob B. found needed filtering in his box plan?

Thanks again for the updates.

>>> The TB seems promising, dare i say e-sigma killer?

I have a 168S (older version with wizzer) and it's a well made driver with lots of tone. The TB is on the same build quality level. These drivers are built to a higher standard and seem overbuilt to me. The TB even has a screen of some kind covering the spider i guess to keep dust out. Nice touch. I've never seen that before. The driver is also very heavy and i worry about it staying mounted in an open baffle or any other cabinet. Double up on the baffle with these things. IMO, upon first listen, the 1808 does not need anything but a cabinet to put it into. It really does play bass up thru the treble and everything in between without sounding honky or shouty. I look forward to getting them into my open baffles soon but first need to cut new holes to mount them into. I could easily live with this driver in a simple box, no circuit, no nothing. I am sure over time i will find something not to like about it but have not spent enough time listening to it. I think the TB sounds most like the fostex 168 sigma i have but smoother thru the midrange and fuller in the bass (it is a bigger driver at 8" vs 6.5"). The TB has a more lifelike 'grunt' than the other drivers and seems pretty neutral overall. I had a feeling the 8" full range driver sound would be to my liking and was right. Can't imagine a Lowther looking much more substantial but i've never seen one outside of it's cabinet. I think a Lowther, Fostex, Tangband shootout would be interesting since these drivers represent some of the best full range drivers money can buy. Mount them in their best cabinets, draw a curtain and let them play.

Godzilla

hey Zilla - will the TB drop into the same diameter hole as Betsy? - bought a pair of 1772 - hope they're stellar as had to pass up an auction for Knight/EV 615HC 15" coax in near mint shape which would have given very good quality in Karlson - better than many horn imo - B20 = weapon - yeah - if ya throw it hard! i pushed it hard in Klam 8 but the now-inflated priced $19.95 Sammi could take it down and produce high spl

Sammi and BetsyK motors (BetsyK has a thicker slug and is better for home hifi when neither have helper tweeters)
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8686/sammibetsyk.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.