Full range as inexpensive nearfield studio monitor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2010, 02:26 AM   #1
zog666 is offline zog666  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Full range as inexpensive nearfield studio monitor

Hi,

Any opininions of using a full range driver as a low cost nearfield monitor for music production?

Been reading up on the Markaudio CHR70, and one of these looks like it could be good for a low/medium volume desktop/bookshelf monitor system, combined with a Lepai amp or similar to drive it... the lack of crossover I am guessing will keep the cost down while also preserving detail and coherence (respective to the pricepoint of the parts) as there is no crossover point to worry about.
Old 26th January 2010, 06:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Zog666
Here's 2 projects done by guys here in Hong Kong.

1 - Mini-mons - black vinyl covered BR's made by Roger Young. He runs them with a sub. size is 170-mm wide X 180-mm high X 180-mm deep. I'll see if Roger has time to join up and comment.

2 - Tony's larger BR in re-constituted Oakwood. Size is 150-mm wide X 290-mm high X 190-mm deep. The wood is 20-mm thick. He's making these in his spare time.

Both are using the Gen.2 CHR-70's. Roger has just swopped from the first gen gold model to the new champagne CHR. So we're hoping to get some listening time over the Chinese New year in his apartment.

I think there's allot of guys on the forum who've used the CHR-70 in near-field and Desktop. It could be well worth doing a search on this forum.

Cheers

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Young_CHR-70.jpg (51.9 KB, 718 views)
File Type: jpg twong1chr70.jpg (62.6 KB, 698 views)
Old 26th January 2010, 06:54 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
I think there's allot of guys on the forum who've used the CHR-70 in near-field and Desktop. It could be well worth doing a search on this forum.
Hi, thanks for the feedback! Yes the small bass reflex you show looks ideal. I've already searched pretty extensively on the forum, but people mainly make reference to them for listening to music or multimedia (want stuff to sound good) rather than mixing/producing audio&music (want sonic deficiencies to be revealed).

That said my newer hobby of DIY audio building seems to have taken over from music production....
Old 26th January 2010, 07:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ummmmph, I'm thinking you may want to take a look at the new Alpair 7. It's more or less the same physical size as the CHR-70 but a big step up sonically. This driver may possibly provide more for your needs.

It's new but there are some threads and posts emerging which help you:

Mark's new Alpair 7

Mark Audio Alpair 7 application

Cheers
Mark
Old 26th January 2010, 07:22 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zog666 View Post
Any opininions of using a full range driver as a low cost nearfield monitor for music production?
A very valid idea.

I have a film maker using a set of mFonken for his nearfield monitors.

I loaned a set of Fonken to a local radio station and they really liked them for that purpose. They were just afraid they were going to blow them up. Now i have the EL70eN in the "same" box (Mar-Kel70), and it would be even better for the purpose and much less likely to have the smoke released.

dave
Old 27th January 2010, 04:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I also agree that this is a very valid idea. If you don't have the money to spend on high end studio monitors then you can do very well by building your own. If I were to do this for myself, then extended-range single driver would be the first pair. Just make sure you tell your clients that they are "custom made"- not DIY.

Then also something cheap and not-so-nice to mimic what the majority of people listen to recordings with (a sad reality). I know a large commercial studio engineer who keeps a pair of NS10's for mastering: "If I can make it sound good on those, then it'll sound good on anything."
Old 28th January 2010, 09:34 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input.. so it looks like they would make good monitors for environments not blasting a lot of volume (lower power handling).. the Alpair 7s would definately be better than CHR70 though they would also increase the cost, which is fair enough.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:49 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi I'm new here, and I'm looking to build something simular.
Is it possible to put the alpair 6 or 7 in the sealed box, wich John K. uses for the Hivi B3s?
Zaph|Audio
I prefere the looks of the alpair above the HiVi.
Old 2nd November 2014, 04:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello..I'm also new here and asking some of these same questions so if I may, can I join this thread?..I'm looking at the Alpair 7.3 drivers in a Brines Acoustics A7 cabinet..This cabinet size works for me and the design doesn't seem too hard to " custom" build ( not DIY)....Would like to use in a tracking/mix scenario..I mean c'mon, if people mixed on 4" Auratones for decades ( still do) the 7.3's in a good designed cabinet should work huh? ()...Thanks..!
Old 2nd November 2014, 10:06 AM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is a low cost option for nearfield and moderate volume levels.

Viva la Vifa! Curvy Cabinet DCR with TC9FD

$12 driver and $9 in BSC components.

Click the image to open in full size.

Distortion:

Impulse:

Hide this!Advertise here!