Fostex the only choice for 94+ dB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been doing some digging online and other than the Fostex drivers (and the Lowthers which I can't afford) it seems pretty difficult to find a full range driver with a sensitivity higher than 94 dB. Am I missing something? I'm finding lots of stuff in the mid to high 80's (Mark Audio, CSS, Jordan, etc) but not much in the mid 90's.

I'm looking for something in the 6.5" world, but could stretch to 8" if that's the only way to find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

P.S. I've never heard a Fostex driver before so I'm not saying they're bad; just wondering if there are any other options.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It "sounds" like people still prefer the Fostex drivers to those options.

It depends. Fostex is a stable well established brand with many drivers available from many distributors. As such there are a large number of tested designs to suit most needs.

Audio Nirvana & Wild Burro are essentially house brands. Paul is trying to get some resellers, but his product is new so hasn't gained a lot of momentum. Turns out the ones i have had a production problem, i need to try and band-aid that and then reevaluate.

That David Dicks of AN doesn't believe in using T/S parameters for box designs (and the questions of how accurate the ones he gives are) hasn't helped momentum of those drivers. I have been less than impressed with the lower end models i've heard, but i have heard from people i respect that some of the cast basket drivers -- in particular, the Super 8 (?) are really quite special. Published specs really point to a horn, adn so far you are on your own there.

dave

It depends. Fostex is a stable well established brand with many drivers available from many distributors. As such there are a large number of tested designs to suit most needs.

Audio Nirvana & Wild Burro are essentially house brands. Paul is trying to get some resellers, but his product is new so hasn't gained a lot of momentum. Turns out the ones i have had a production problem, i need to try and band-aid that and then reevaluate.

That David Dicks of AN doesn't believe in using T/S parameters for box designs (and the questions of how accurate the ones he gives are) hasn't helped momentum of those drivers. I have been less than impressed with the lower end models i've heard, but i have heard from people i respect that some of the cast basket drivers -- in particular, the Super 8 (?) are really quite special. Published specs really point to a horn, adn so far you are on your own there.

dave

Dave,
Do you know anything about Pi Audio speakers?
Thanks,
Mike

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pi speakers are multiways using the big woofer, big horn approach. Not something i've done a lot with, and they have an XO. Sometimes the XO can be the fly in the ointment when it comes to effective high efficiency. If the system impedance is not flat, it is going to spell trouble with most of the amps that get people looking for high efficiency.

dave

I am looking forward to hearing the new 8" Tangband W8-1808. I ordered a pair last week. They are rated at 93db but they have a sibling rated at 95db (with a lower qts... i wanted the higher qts version).

Parts-Express.com: Tang Band W8-1808 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1808 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier

I can't wait to get my hands on that bad boy!

Between the Fostex, Audio Nirvana, Betsy, Viaston, TB and a few more higher priced options from Lowther, AER and Suprovox, DIYers have a neat range of hi eff, easy to drive 8" drivers that are all pretty excellent once dialed into appropriate boxes... or open baffles.

Godzilla

if you go the 8" route and in addition to whats been said, Parts-Express.com: Tang Band W8-1772 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1772 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier this should get you there, someone posted a manufacture design BLH here and bob brines has a vented box plan too. many here have said good things about them.

for 6.5" drivers the Fostex 94.5db FE168EZ are supposed to be good too.

fwiw, i love my Fostex limited edition 95.5db FE166ES-R, the 5"es-r didn't go over so well and i've no idea when or what limited edition fullrange fostex will do next.

if you go the 8" route and in addition to whats been said, Parts-Express.com:*Tang Band W8-1772 8" Neodymium Full Range Driver | Tang Band W8-1772 8" Full Range Driver full range tb speakers neodymium driver line array point source midrange home theater computer speaker center channel set tube amplifier this should get you there, someone posted a manufacture design BLH here and bob brines has a vented box plan too. many here have said good things about them.

for 6.5" drivers the Fostex 94.5db FE168EZ are supposed to be good too.

fwiw, i love my Fostex limited edition 95.5db FE166ES-R, the 5"es-r didn't go over so well and i've no idea when or what limited edition fullrange fostex will do next.

The FE168EZ are looking (at least on paper) to be almost exactly what I'm after. I did a little exploring on Google for this driver and low and behold, the BIB was pretty much the first result on the page. Am I correct in reading the charts that in the BIB, this driver can go down to the mid 30's? Better option elsewhere?

>>> Godzilla - What build are you planning for them?

I am building this

Open Baffle Speaker - TangBand W8-1808 and Boomer Open Baffle Speaker Kit

>>> (with a lower qts... i wanted the higher qts version). Can I ask what this is and why you would prefer one over the other?

I chose the the driver with the higher qts because it has more flexibility to be used in different types of cabinet designs including open baffle. The lower qts version has higher efficiency by a couple of db but requires a back horn cabinet of some kind (a BIB would probably be a great cabinet for this driver) to balance out the bass with the rest of the drivers frequency response.

>>> The FE168EZ are looking (at least on paper) to be almost exactly what I'm after.

The 168EZ is an amazing driver and works great in a BIB and many other back horn designs. I have the older style 168S and think it's great. Some feel the 168EZ could use a tweeter on top but some prefer it without.

Godzilla

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
96dB, 8", but probably a bit expensive... no one here seems to have used it?

Actual measurements on this driver indicate that the 96 dB is VERY optimistic... with a sample of 8 drivers i got measured average efficiency of just over 91 dB. This jives with apparent efficiency when you play them. A very nice OB FR thou.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.