Small speakers for a small tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody!

I'd like to make some speakers for my small tube amp (2+2W).

I know I need big speakers (hi sensitivity) for small tube amp but I have a small room and my wife doesn't like big speakers (as all wifes, I think :D).

So I need a compromise!

Looking on internet I found some project:
- Jordan JX92S/Aurum Cantus G2si mini monitor (Dr. Griffin) here on diyaudio: the project hasn't big sensitivity but I think the combination Jordan and Aurum Cantus is quite good for me
- Mini dcaav with Hi-Vi B3n or Tangband W3-871s (http://www.webalice.it/loziopino1/Sito/Home.html): this one is more computer speakers than hifi speakers but it's a real small project.

Can anyone help me with the choice? Other suggest are welcome :)

Thank you and I apologise for my awful english...

Hello everybody!

I'd like to make some speakers for my small tube amp (2+2W).

I know I need big speakers (hi sensitivity) for small tube amp but I have a small room and my wife doesn't like big speakers (as all wifes, I think :D).

So I need a compromise!

Looking on internet I found some project:
- Jordan JX92S/Aurum Cantus G2si mini monitor (Dr. Griffin) here on diyaudio: the project hasn't big sensitivity but I think the combination Jordan and Aurum Cantus is quite good for me
- Mini dcaav with Hi-Vi B3n or Tangband W3-871s (http://www.webalice.it/loziopino1/Sito/Home.html): this one is more computer speakers than hifi speakers but it's a real small project.

Can anyone help me with the choice? Other suggest are welcome :)

Thank you and I apologise for my awful english...

yur English is just fine

If you can take advantage of corner loading, something like the Frugel-Horn with Fostex FE126E might be worth considering. A well implemented BLH design such as these can certainly sound much bigger than they look.

see photos at link below

For something with a few dB less sensitivity, but far more flexibility of enclosure styles and volume (and accordingly higher potential Wifey Acceptance Factor) , the FE127 is also worth looking at. Your 2 watts might seem like not much power, but I've heard a lot of flea power tube amps with far more "leverage" than their numbers would suggest.

Last edited:
I just posted a brief review of the Miniwatt amp (2.5 watts x 2) powering the FE126eN frugelhorns. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...mp-best-drive-frugel-horns-8.html#post2060845

They are pretty sensitive drivers and I am amazed at what such little power can do...but the combo falls a little short in big rooms with lots of people talking. I typically listen to them in a small bedroom (8 x 10 feet) and 2.5 watts is more than enough to produce complaints from the wife about it being too loud :)

Thank you for all replies.

I prefer something in bookshelf version because I have a quite long sideboard so I'd like to place the two speakers on it on the edges, but Frugel Horn have a fantastic look :eek:
I printed out the pdf and now I study :D I think I must go with a Level 1 or Level 2a because I haven't a lot of space.

Thanks

To Planet10:

I've found two project of mFonken: 1v1 and 1v1.1
Which is best?
Thanks

The 1v1.1 ( 2009) is the most recent version; normalized as part of a flat-pak kit series with versions for several Mark Audio drivers.( CHR70 / EL70 / Alpair 6 )

The driver magnet brace and port slot dividers for vented versions are the variables.

Having built/listened to all of the above I can certainly comment on the ease of assembly, or my own personal taste* but as to "best" sound, that's a much tougher call.

* with low power tube amps, the Fostex shines, while with higher powered SS (particularly class T that I've heard to date), the Mark Audio / CSS EL70 comes into its own.

Last edited:
Hello everybody :Pawprint:

Now I've a problem :confused:

The suggest wood is baltic birch plywood but I can't find it so I've two options:

1. MDF, that is an hard wood and I'm afraid for the magnet tight against the brace

2. poplar playwood that is a quite soft wood and I don't know if it's suitable for the project.

Thanks for advice :)

I prefer something in bookshelf version...

I had quite a bit of fun building a pair of Makizou clones. You can see where I started building my set around post #38. I'm driving mine with a small single ended tube amplifier.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/81133-makizou-i-finally-did.html

I learned a lot in the process, and I'm still enjoying the speakers greatly. They are definitely small speakers, and have minimal output below 80 Hz or so. Regardless, I like the way they sound. It might be worth your consideration.

Last edited:
Hello everybody :Pawprint:

Now I've a problem :confused:

The suggest wood is baltic birch plywood but I can't find it so I've two options:

1. MDF, that is an hard wood and I'm afraid for the magnet tight against the brace

2. poplar playwood that is a quite soft wood and I don't know if it's suitable for the project.

Thanks for advice :)

sei sicuro di non trovare il multistrato di "betulla"?

literally: 'are you sure you can not find ply birch?'

i just tought jeppix was missing the italian name... here many wood sellers are still not inclined to learning english...

somebody who can should really come out with a sticky thread about translations and equivalent materials across countries... name of woods, and most of all names of damping materials... it's a problem everytime to many people...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
somebody who can should really come out with a sticky thread about translations and equivalent materials across countries... name of woods, and most of all names of damping materials... it's a problem everytime to many people...

A very good idea.

I can relate. I had someone send me some BAF wading to find out that if was poly-fluff, dacron/polyester wool, pillow stuffing.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.