Nescio: Alpair5 + Trio8 + DSP = wow - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Nescio: Alpair5 + Trio8 + DSP = wow

last year I completed a design with the Markaudio Alpair5 and the CSS Trio8.
foto Nescio (klein).jpg
I had this design published in the dutch Elektor magazine, so I waited with publicising it until that was in the shops.

I've had plans in my had for a FAST with the Alpair5 ever since it was introduced, but was thinking of something special to do with it. When Hypex introduced the AS2.100 (a 2*100W UcD amp with built in DSP crossover) this plan got into gear.. The (then) new Trio8 proved the best candidate for a woofer, so with the components ready it was time for designing..

The outer appearance was designed by Ewoud Luppens, a designer who has a good track record in designing loudspeakers, and he has similar ideas as I have: firm lines, off the beaten track. We both quickly agreed on the big picture (sizes, separate mid enclosure) so having the design final did not take long.

I wanted a separate enclosure for the mid and for the bass, to avoid compromises in materials, and to minimise colouration of the mid by transferring bass frequencies to the mid. The cabinet for the midrange may be plain square from the outside, its true beauty is on the inside. A folded horn, stuffed with Twaron fibre ensures optimal damping of the backwave resulting in a much cleaner mid than with a traditional cabinet. This cabinet is mounted on rubber on the bass cabinet to reduce vibrations from the bass colouring the mid.
midkastje asbuilt foto kl.jpg

The bass enclosure is a simple closed cab, made of 18mm pine and braced very well to have its eigen frequency high enough to be out of the range it is working in.

All filtering (cross over, BSC, further tuning, time allignment) is done in the DSP of the Hypex. Cross over is LR4 at 300Hz. The bass is enhanced by applying a LT on the Trio8 so it is tuned to q=0.5 @30Hz.
compleet en individueel (bijgewerkt).png

And the result: simply the best loudspeaker I have ever built or owned. And only few I have listened were better. Freed from the bass, the Alpair5 shows all its qualities, and the bass the Trio8 puts out is simply stunning. The level of details (in both high and low frequencies) in the music and ambiance is staggering, the audiophile cliche "I discovered new things in my CDs" was certainly true for me.
Old 17th January 2010, 04:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Wow, Henkjan, that is a beauty!

1. Is that sand filling the small cavity on the baffle?

2. May I ask what the rear-firing horn contributes to the response? For example, is it just enough to counter baffle step perhaps? Very cool.
Old 17th January 2010, 08:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Funny you should post this. I've been thinking of doing something similar. I find that the Trio8 should be able to outperform the SDX7 in terms of bass AND high frequency content. If the space allows I'd use it every time.

Very nice work!
Old 17th January 2010, 10:32 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post

The cabinet for the midrange may be plain square from the outside, its true beauty is on the inside. A folded horn, stuffed with Twaron fibre ensures optimal damping of the backwave resulting in a much cleaner mid than with a traditional cabinet.

Attachment 154343
From the picture, i'd call it a tapered TL (mid TL). Is the terminus open (1/4 wave) or closed (1/2 wave)?

Good to hear the comments on the Trio8. I have 4 waiting in the wings.

dave
Old 18th January 2010, 12:06 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If I'm looking at the picture correctly, it appears to be a sealed TQWT (reverse taper horn) with the driver positioned at the throat & 0 terminus area. Or, if you prefer a different nomenclature, a sealed, tapered TL with 0 terminus area.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

That Hypex product looks really interesting. Just some I'm understanding properly, it contains two channels of amplification and DSP/active crossover; correct? So for a pair of speakers I would only need one of these. This would drive the woofers and then I'd use whatever else I wanted to drive the full range driver.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
1. Is that sand filling the small cavity on the baffle?.
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbond3rd View Post
2. May I ask what the rear-firing horn contributes to the response? For example, is it just enough to counter baffle step perhaps? Very cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
From the picture, i'd call it a tapered TL (mid TL). Is the terminus open (1/4 wave) or closed (1/2 wave)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
If I'm looking at the picture correctly, it appears to be a sealed TQWT (reverse taper horn) with the driver positioned at the throat & 0 terminus area. Or, if you prefer a different nomenclature, a sealed, tapered TL with 0 terminus area.
it is closed at the end, so Scottmoose's explanation is correct. this was my go at what B&W has done with their Nautilus tubes a relatively small effort compared to a normal sqare box. and before anyone asks: no, I have been too lazy to compare it with an empty box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjppop View Post
That Hypex product looks really interesting. Just some I'm understanding properly, it contains two channels of amplification and DSP/active crossover; correct? So for a pair of speakers I would only need one of these. This would drive the woofers and then I'd use whatever else I wanted to drive the full range driver.
it is more than just interesting.... yes, it has 2 amps and 1 additional RCA outlet for a sub. so for driving a pair of FR speakers, 1 unit is OK. if you want to do a 2.1 set, all you need more is a subamp. if you want to drive a pair of 2way speakers (like I have done) you'll need 2 units. if you want to make a pair of 3way speakers, add a pair of subamps. All filtering is in the AS2.100.

btw: if anyone wants the plans (the text in in dutch I'm afraid), the Hypex filter settings file, etc just drop me a PM.
Old 18th January 2010, 03:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

btw: there is a thread on the Hypex AS2.100 in the amplifiers forum:
Hypex UcD AS2.100
Old 19th January 2010, 09:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Very cool.

Idealistic but still realistic.
Old 2nd April 2010, 06:27 AM   #10
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Henkjan,

will u publish the TQWT plan for the Alpair 5?

just finished desktop TL yesterday , sounds wonderful. No filter yet.

I have alpair 10bass still got no home, like to build something compact for desktop using both 10&5.

Hide this!Advertise here!