Panasonic or Tripath

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Gripracer,i read all about Panasonic specs.TI Equibit chips ar also very good,and Pany has 3 digital ins,remote...i just vant to know haw is the senergy betvin Panasonic and full range speakers like fostex 206e.
Mi setup now is very cheep-PC vith HD sound card--> spdif out coax to Sony DAT(very good DA converter) to old Pioneer fx-330 reciver from 1972(very powerfol:eek: 2X10w:rolleyes:)
Any one have expirience with Panasonics and fostex drivers in BLH.
Thanks

I just vont to say that old Pioneer is very good,is got very good phono amp,i play from time to time some records,but most of time i play music from mi PC.
I listen mostly classical music 80%,and the rest is some pop and ethno music.
I dont listen very loud,but to me is very important good midrange(voices,piano) and good soundstage.
Thanks

Well of course, the answers to any questions regarding sound quality will reflect the personal preference/bias of the repliers, but here's my 2 dinars worth:

the mini-watt is one of the current "hot" models of low cost tube amps, but virtually any low powered SET or P/P would make for a sweet match with the FE206E, and certainly help tame the potentially strident mid to upper mid-range registers.

Even with the smaller and less sensitive FE167 and FE126E, both my Trends or Kingrex class T amps can be somewhat fatiguing over a long term music only session (fine for TV viewing) when compared to a 3-5watt tuber - my personal favorites alternating between 2A3 or EL34 SET and SV83 P/P.

Thank you very much human.bin & Chrisb,i know tubes ar the best match for this speakers,but miniwatt & some not too expensive tube amps ar not available hir bekose ve do not have paypal for now so ordering them is not possible.
Ve have hir Trafomatik tube amps,especialy model Expirience One(2A3)very good
but olso very expensive(1200-1400 euros).Maybe try litle Dayens Ampino(SS)which received good reviews from 6moon.
Thanks
Deyan

btw i only owned t-amps, but i pay 25e for them (fenice20 board) and i don't think spending more on them will bring you much more... 100e is quite expensive for something that can be bought for 25 isn't it?

i was looking after the dayens for it would be a good match to the alpair 10 drivers i'm building around right now which are medium efficiency. so if i was you i would think that the 250e for the dayens are well spent comparing to the t-amp and panasonic, for you get a very very good SS with that extra power that will allow you to easily drive less efficient drivers in the future... altought i cannot vouch if it is a good match to the fostex

regarding the miniwatt have you tried contacting them looking for an arrangment?

human.bin i know a bout a fenice20,i try to order from s3shop.it lest year,but i have a problem vhen i try to pay with mi creditcard,did not trayet later.I so very good asembled amp kit from Audiophonics.fr-very good from the pictures for only 39 euros.What speakers you have now with the t-amp powering them.
What is yor impresions.
Thanks.
Deyan

i used it with a pair of audionirvana super 8" which should have some similarities in the overall character with the 206 (anyway i never heard a 206). it lacked bass (a technics 100W was giving some more in that department altought they are 97db in sensitivity, relationship between bass and watts/sensitivity puzzles me) and the sound was too harsh and sharp... maybe it is me driving directly from a macbook output jack... maybe is that they have a big peaks at 3.5k and 15k that i now know how to tame with computer DSP... anyway the sound was hell fast, dynamic with such a sense of rythm that the technics amplifier is not in use anymore nor as a second system.

then i destroyed one driver and now i'm building a pair of MBVR with alpair10, they are 88db sensitivity but volume seems more than enough with the t-amp, after finishing the speaker i will understand if some more watts would be usefull to drive low-frequencies... the dayens would be my choice but i really need a DAC first :)

Human.bin-because it has a digital input,perhaps the Panasonic is a inexpensive solution for you,it has more power sa-xr45- 6x100w,with bi-amp and bi-wire in stereo mod.You should read the posts in Audioasylum and AudioCircle.People ther say its a giant-killer.SA-XR 45 is going now on EBAY for 150euros,i found this sa-xr25 hir in Serbia for 70euros.
Thanks
Deyan:)

Deyan,

If you have any interest in tweaking the amp, the Zero has more possibilities. If you pull it out of that box, you could replace the pot, input caps and jacks. I don't know the specifics of that board, but if it has a low pass filter you could mess with that. Of course, if you plan to do plenty of experimenting, there are plenty of PCB only amps on Ebay, and putting one in your own box gives you more room.

I haven't heard the Panasonic, so I can't comment on it. I have recently played with a T-amp (the Sure board). While it sounded darn fine for the money (much better than the mid-fi receivers I've heard), it doesn't compete with a little tube amp. Do look around for an old reel to reel or console amp. You might be able to make something work for about the same price as that Zero. I'm playing with the amps from an Akai M8 right now, and I wouldn't trade 'em for a dozen T-amps.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

This is from the Audioasylum site:
Well, I have lots of amps and preamps , but recently I was using Audire Monoblocks , the Noble 2's , basically baby Audire Monarchs.
They were more powerful , but not by as much as you would think.
I have a big JVC reciever , the RX DP 9 that sounded so good on the Von Schweikert VR 2's , but wont even drive the 801's.
I mean, it will make sound, but no bass, no punck.
Properly driven , a set of 801 will rattle the walls , and they do it with the little Panasonic.
BTW,, The JVC weighs almost 60 lbs , has a huge transformer , discrete Outputs , and was tested at 350 watt peaks into 4 ohms ?
I have a Precision Fidelity M 8 Tube/Mosfet Hybrid , 125 wpc I think , and the little Panny does just as good driving the 801's as it does.
I have a Sumo Andromeda too.
I like the litte Panasonic , but I am no longer in a huge room.
But , the way it works on an 801 is this...
Hook an amp up that has no current , and you get almost zero bass.
The Panasonic has excellent bass , not only slam, but definition , and thats just as important to me.
Perhaps in a bigger room , things would be different ?
But the small room makes me hypersensitive to any high frequency gremlins , and I dont hear any on the 45.
To answer your question though , with my very best DAC , and best pre amp playing through the Audire Monoblocks , it sounds better then the Panasonic , but not a whole lot better.
And not better in every way, either.
The Panasonic just has something about it that makes me want to listen to it.
I caught myself talking to it , telling it how I was going to leave it on while I went fishing for the weekend.
I keep telling it that it hasnt any right to be as good as it does .
I actually cussed at it the other day for sounding so good , I was angry.
I dont like change , I liked being the guy on the3 block with all the cool , expensive ****.
Now, anyone can have great sound , and cheaply too, what is this world coming to ?
Amp/Preamp Asylum: Re: Panasonic SA XR 25 VS. SA XR 45 Listening Comparasions. LONG ! by ka7niq
Deyan

Yea,i know WOW,but as is said before,the hard but the best way is to tray for yor salfe(price is very good for this amps).
Thanks Paul for the tip,i have two old valve radios(mono)vith very good Ei Nis el84 tubes,but im not good vith electronics:dead:and dont know anyone who could help me vith this.
Thanks
Deyan:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.