Alpair 6 impressions. Question for Alpair7 or Alpair12 owners - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2010, 07:52 AM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The idea actually comes from Harry Olson. The Japanese kept the idea alive.

The stepped horn & the bump in the cross-section at each fold attenuate the high frequencies and keep them out of the mouth. The bass frequencies don't care.

And it makes it very simple to build. The more people build them, the more people get to enjoy them

dave
Old 11th January 2010, 11:11 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

The A7 pretty much matches the A6 through the midband despite having a larger cone (more advanced profile & suspension). The smaller driver as-is has a fractional edge, if you're in a small room & playing really delicate material, but otherwise little in it on that score. The A7, being a little larger, has greater power-handling. The A12 has substantially more of course, can't match the midband & HF of the little 'uns, but it makes a heck of a good attempt & isn't far off at all considering that it's got almost 4 times the pistonic area of the A6. They're all really nice units.
The CHR70 sounds like an A7 with some of the detail removed, nice forgiving little driver. As for what would suit, depends on how large you can go & which sonic areas you happen to place the greatest value on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InclinedPlane View Post
No disrespect as I'm sure those dblh horn designs sound wonderful, but their appearance is downright HIDEOUS.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; some find them quite attractive.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 11th January 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11th January 2010, 11:45 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Dave - I'm with you there on the simple build.

Scottmoose - You and Dave have been creating some interesting double horn designs. What made you choose the long path horn for the Mark Audio drivers? From my limited understanding, I thought the more suitable a driver's specs for bass reflex or mltl, the less suitable for a BLH and vice versa. Most horn drivers have low Qts and low x-max, the Alpairs seem to be the opposite. Can you educate me a little more on this?
Old 11th January 2010, 12:17 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Scottmoose - Am reading this thread Spawn of Frugel-Horn. Forget my last questions, I think you may have answered them here already.
Old 11th January 2010, 02:39 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

It's a myth that low Q drivers are a requirement for back-horns. They only operate over a relatively narrow bandwidth, so what you want is a driver with a low[ish] mass-corner frequency to avoid either corrupting the midrange, or leaving a large hole in the response.
Old 11th January 2010, 06:27 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cangaceiro99 View Post
Fullrangeman - Thanks for the tip. Yes I know about the cangaceiros. I trained capoeira for 7 years so I think they give me this nickname to make fun. I stopped due to injury, but I still train BJJ. Brasil is an amazing country my friend. The people especially.
OK, nice background, best wishes for 2010.
Gustavo
Old 12th January 2010, 04:52 AM   #17
Norio is offline Norio  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 7 - CHR70

My impressions are ....

Alpair 7 - Widerange, many details, Base dynamic range is special.
When music source provides strong base signals to Alpair 7 response is very different from any other speakers.
Because of the special spider and soft front suspension, linearity is superb I felt something funny by this respionse and dynamic range ( needs more idling) .
Hi - frequency is beautiful. but carefully chose quality speaker cables.
if cables, CD player and/or amplifier has some charactor, you suddenly see the difference.

CHR70 - The reasonable driver, a guy of ex-Luxman said " This is the best choice especially taking into account the price. "
This driver has no nervous response. easy to use.

I personally prefer Alpair7 because it is not a sound of fullrange.
No Hone, T/L speaker I use, only bassref speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7r-s4mail.JPG (78.0 KB, 583 views)
Old 12th January 2010, 02:46 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

After re-reading my comment I feel it need additional explanation.

"funny feeling" - I never heard this kind of base sound such as deep and strong. There are many drivers which produce lower frequency response but Alpair 7 base sound clearly different to any other unit (after using Matsubara san's spider 7 12 has same charactor) .

" not a sound of fullrange" - Alpair7 generates 30,000hz hi-freq. response this makes very beautiful Hi-tone sound but also with this base sound, my impression is just like a well balanced multi-way speaker system.

Cabling test -
I am using 1) ofc + silver coated 2) 6n ofc 3) ordinal ofc
(1) is best match to my speaker

system Denon DCD s10mark3 CD player
acuuphase e307 pre-main amp.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:19 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
carefully chose quality speaker cables.
if cables, CD player and/or amplifier has some charactor, you suddenly see the difference
Norio - Thanks for your comments. I've tried swapping amps and have noticed considerable differences, but I have never tried swapping speaker cables yet. what does "6n" and "ordinal" stand for? I am assuming "ofc" stands for oxygen free copper. can you describe the effect on the sound from changing cables?

Scott - Do you have a release date for these plans? A long path horn for Mark Audio drivers is something that interests me very much. I was googling around all December thinking someone must have made plans for these, but found nothing. Then Dave mentions that you guys are designing some, it's like receiving a gift. Do you plan to start a thread for these new designs? Your horn designs have me interested in horns again.
Old 14th January 2010, 02:34 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Smile 6N copper

Yes, it means.....

6n - means 99.9999 % oxygen free copper, my cable is wrapped by very hard material shows direction of cable as well.
4N - ordinal 99.99% oxygen free, this wrapping is quite soft

6N cable provides more details and hi-frequency clear,

silver coated is very beautiful and soft sound.

4N (1/3 price of others, half thickness) music instruments are not separated.

What I wanted to tell is Alpair 7 give me very clear difference, of cause there are many kind of good cables within ofc 4N, please understand my comment is under restricted tests.

Sound difference may be because of 1) cable vibration is different by kind of materials, 2) dumping factor difference by wrapping material 3) impedance of cabels itsself - I surprised the difference this time.

Hide this!Advertise here!