Thoughts on first Fostex DIY attempt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I have recently found an amazing combination of Fostex 126 (non-treated) speaker and Miniwatt tube amp (2 watts). I just recently sold my Hornshoppe horns because I'm unable to place them in the corners for better bass, and I don't have room for a sub (room is 8' wide X 14' long and has a wide opening on one wall into the next room).

So I just received the Miniwatt and connected it before I boxed the speaker to send off, and the sound was amazing, bass and ultimate volume excepted. Having heard this combination, I'm set on finding the best BLH horn for an enabled 126 driver in my SMALL space. As I said, I can't get in the corners as I have my amps, DAC, and computer in the middle and my wall-mounted slate/lenco towards the corner.

The back of the speakers could be as close as 24" away from the back wall and pulled out as far as 36" from the back wall. The couch would be between 8' - 9' away from the speakers.

I'm thinking the Saburo is "it". Before I start cutting wood, would most of you agree that this is one of my best options? At only 8' for width, 6-8" width on the speaker looks attractive. Also, a sub just doesn't fit in this setup.

Music is all over: NRBQ, Nirvana, Otis R, Guy Forsythe, Sade, Erin Mckeown's CD: Distillation - a pretty cool singer/guitar player, Jimmy Smith, Green Day, etc.

I would appreciate all feedback and suggestions!

Thanks,

Michael

Well, I can't tell you what the 'best' is, because it's such a variable term. However, I can say that Saburo does work rather well.

Scott is being modest. "Rather well" is a major understatement. The Saburo will give you everything the Hornshoppe horn does, but larger in scale and better bass output. (I've heard both in an A/B in a smaller room)
Only downside of the Saburo is the large cabinet. :D

Last edited:
Thank you both for the replies. That's just want I wanted to hear - similar sound to the Hornshoppes with good bass and no corner placement needed. I have had a split Altec 210 cabinet in this same space, so the Saburo is no problem for size. My wife doesn't even give me too much trouble about it!

I may have a line on a nice set of original Tybones at a pretty good price if we can figure out shipping. If that falls through, I've got a friends wood shop that we'll fire up and get going on this.

Best Regards!

If the Fostex 126 is your driver of choice, you might take a look at Tom's Model 2. He has been kind enough to post his design plans for our use. While I haven't spent more than an hour or so with a pair of Model 2, I've been lucky enough to acquire a pair of his earlier Model 1. I like what I hear, and I believe Tom knows what he is doing.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/116081-s-p-q-r-model-2-a.html

IMO, the Saburo would likely be your best option in utilizing the 126e and wanting bass without corner placement. I've found in a smaller room, the Saburo has amazing bass output.

Most people seem to be building the Saburo speakers over the slightly shorter and much more attractive Mikasa speakers. I wouldn't call the Saburos ugly but the Mikasa photos are quite beautiful. How do the sound of these speaker enclosures compare with the same drivers? Have enough Mikasas been built to really judge?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.