F.A.S.T. Project: Tangband W3-315 vs. MARK AUDIO CHR-70, CSS EL-70 or Alpair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: W3-315 in F.A.S.T. project or Mark Audio CHR-70 what do your prefer
W3-315E as F.A.S.T. 8 19.05%
Mark Audio CHR-70 29 69.05%
Other 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th January 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Cool F.A.S.T. Project: Tangband W3-315 vs. MARK AUDIO CHR-70, CSS EL-70 or Alpair

Up to now, I am listening to Tangband 3'' driver W3-315E in a fullrange ML TL called "TABAQ" (http://coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ_TL_for_TB.pdf)

This enclosure is by far better than the Cyburg Needles, because it's tuned more exactly for this speaker (f3 is really 50 Hz !).

I like especially this Tangband W3-315E because of his ridge hightone characteristic. It sounds more fresh and more open than all other Tangband speakers, I've tested before.

Now the disadvantage about my current project:
There is a strong limitation in output power and bass pressure overall (who wonders, it's only 3'' driver).

Coming to the idea to give the W3-315E bass support through a F.A.S.T. system. I'd like to use the Mission CP-164, 4 Ohm Bass, that is already lying around in my home (look:Mission_CP-164.pdf - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com)

There already exists another DIY Project with W3-315, called Daisy, from Udo Wolgemuth. But if you have a look at it, it's looking very ugly (my taste).

My idea is to build a 27 L Bassreflex enclosure for the Mission CP164, tuned to 43 Hz, build in sidewise. Looking like the Visaton Stella Light from Klang und Ton 06/2009 (pictures and description STELLA LIGHT - Visaton Diskussionsforum).

As I explained, the aim of this F.A.S.T. project is to implement the W3-315E in a more efficient way (I could imagine running it from 150/200 Hz with crossover), and giving more bass support for the system overall (the work for the Mission CP164).

The second choice (and that's my question) is to use a different speaker in fullrange enclosure. I had a look at Mark Audio's CHR-70 which should have similar characteristic in hightone freshness as the the W3-315E, with the advantage of giving better fullrange response overall.
I know, going to a Mark Audio Alpair 7, Alpair 8 or Alpair 10 should also work,
but these speakers I find a bit too expensive and I think they are lacking of my favourized hightone freshness.

So, who can give my either advice for F.A.S.T. with W3-315E and crossover design or different project with Mark Audio CHR-70 (maybe CSS EL-70) ?
Old 8th January 2010, 07:20 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My goto driver of choice for a FAST is the FF85KeN. Of the 2 drivers listed i'd choose CHR-70.

Make sure to have a look at the Tysen threads. Tysen came about for exactly the same reasons you are considering your current project.

dave
Old 8th January 2010, 10:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Jokel77

You've made a typo as there's no Alpair 8.

I guess you've not had the chance to listen to my second generation drivers Alpair 7 and 12. With the 7's range going to 30-kHz, it's got allot more "freshness". Its one of the reasons for large sales in Japan where extended range is recognised as a technical advance; And detail and clarity are favoured.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 9th January 2010, 06:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Whatsa FAST?

P
Old 9th January 2010, 07:44 PM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
it's got allot more "freshness".
Its one of the reasons for large sales in Japan where extended range is recognised as a technical advance; And detail and clarity are favoured.
Funny, many years ago testers around here used a term like "german sound"
Im sure neither the japanese or germans invented BSC
Appology to the German members, and Mark
Old 9th January 2010, 08:23 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Poinz,

FAST is the family of loudspeakers that is a full range assisted by a woofer. XO ~ 100-400 Hz

dave
Old 9th January 2010, 09:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Funny, many years ago testers around here used a term like "german sound"
Im sure neither the japanese or germans invented BSC
ZING!

(pun absolutely intended)
Old 9th January 2010, 10:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Talking of FAST, ZING and could we say PING? (more puns)

Anyway, here's blogs in Japan initiated by Supiken. Worth a look as a number of driver makers are listed, including Mine, Tangbang. Fostex etc.:

‰‹œ‚Š‚ƒ”ƒ‚ƒ*”究室€Œ™ぴ*”€ƒ –ƒ*‚ 2010 1œˆ 4

‰‹œ‚Š‚ƒ”ƒ‚ƒ*”究室€Œ™ぴ*”€ƒ –ƒ*‚ 2009 12œˆ 30

Anyone recommend a good on-line language translator? I'm using Yahoo's Bable Fish, sort of OK but phases can be a bit weird.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited by markaudio; 9th January 2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typos mended
Old 10th January 2010, 12:53 AM   #9
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Im now listening to a 2.5way "FAST" OB with 15"/10"/2"
But I better keep that to myself
Old 11th January 2010, 07:15 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you Mark for pointing me to Alpair 7 having a lot more freshness than the earlier Alpairs (Alpair 5, Alpair 6, Alpair 10). After reading the posts in this thread I gave up the idea of building a FAST-System with W3-315E. Tysen is really an interesting project, too.
Thanks for the link, planet10.

As most of the thread readers voted for CHR-70. The CHR-70 is my favourite chassis at the moment. I looked up for an interesting enclosure design at
Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread
Henkjan posted this link. It's a project for CHR70 called "Torretta" from RumoH Zelfbouw Luidsprekers, Netherlands.
What really makes me interesting in this project is that it should come out without any filter or LCR circuit. Is that a profit of the Torreta's design or is it also to build in the CHR-70 in other designs without filter ?
If it's the same, I'd choose the "Pencil" design from Mark Audio.

Final question:
What is the main difference between Alpair 7 and CHR-70 in performance ?
Really strong differences hearable ? I ask because, there's a strong difference in price,
so if the difference is not much, why not taking the CHR-70 for project.
(I assume that CHR-70 plays with the same "freshness" as Alpair 7).

Hide this!Advertise here!