Visaton FRS8M 30 Watt 88 dB any good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the full range speakers available in Germany the Visaton FRS8M looks interesting from a sensitivity and power handling perspective.

Either as a full range, or I might actively cross it over with a sub woofer or as a mid range. Does any one have any experience with it?

Hi Owenhamburg,

I am not the expert here, but recently in my country i have seen the FR10 from visaton, they dont seem (i.e. the FRS8M and FR10) to compete with Fostex or Mark Audio but they seem to be a good brand and have some other high end drivers. The FRS8M seems to handle more power. I will paste the picture of the FRS8M here, it might help.

Attachments

• frs8m.jpg
    frs8m.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 1,551
  • frs8m_8_fs.gif
    frs8m_8_fs.gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,509
Last edited:
I like them. Decent efficiency, does well paired to woofers. I am listening to a pair now, backed up (each) by a pair of W130S 8ohm, XO at 300Hz, and I really like the sound.

I'd say you could get bass from them with an elaborate horn loading system, but adding a woofer means much greater SPL on offer. The treble isn't perfect either. It's pretty good, just lacking in presence. So, add some woofers, a super-tweeter and you might be better off finding something else, but if you're stuck with them, they're not bad for what they are. Visaton makes some good stuff. The basic FRS8 will do OB pretty well (Qts >1), but these are bigger motor, meaning mounting can be an issue - the magnet is 73mm dia, the cutout is 75mm diameter.

I find that, for general easy listening, they're good. They sound pretty realistic. Drums are very good, as are pianos. If you want to be picky, they need some kind of tweeter, and a woofer/horn system to get them at their best.

Chris

FRS 8 M 8 OHM

8 cm (3.3") HiFi fullrange speaker with high force factor and good sensitivity. Special developed for use in column-speakers and small bass-reflex cabinets, e.g. in miniature subwoofer / satellite systems.

Typical applications :
- Column speakers
- Mini hi-fi systems

Attributes :
- Moisturised cone
- Metal basket

Technical Data:Rated power30 WMaximum power50 WNominal impedance Z8 OhmFrequency response100–20000 HzMean sound pressure level88 dB (1 W/1 m)Angle of sound emmision147°/4000 HzMaximum cone displacement+/−2,5 mmResonance frequency fs125 HzMagnetic induction1,2 TMagnetic flux225 µWbHeight of front pole-plate3 mmVoice coil diameter20 mmHeight of winding4 mmCutout diameter75 mmNet weight0,5 kgD.C. resistance Rdc7,2 OhmMechanical Q factor Qms3,24Electrical Q factor Qes0,58Total Q factor Qts0,49Equivalent volume Vas1,1 lEffective piston area Sd29 cm²Dynamically moved mass Mms1,8 gForce factor Bxl4,0 TmInductance of the voice coil L0,3 mHHeat resistance−25 ... 70 °C

The surround feels like foamed rubber - it's too smooth and frictionless to be rubber.

As previously mentioned - the likes of fostex will blow these away, but cost a lot more.

What sort of application are you looking at? Small 2.1 system, larger, multi-way system?
I suppose you could use them in a small ported box, tuned to around 80Hz. That should get you somewhere.

My thoughts are to improve upon my main system or make a suitable for my bedroom, if it does not go to well.

My thoughts where, to try

1) As a wide band midrange
* I converted an Linn Helix speakers (50 Pound second hand bargain) to an active set up.
* I have an adjustable active cross over and 3 quad 303's, 92 of them I have replaced all the capacitors)

2) As a stand alone speaker for bedroom to replace rather boomy Logitech Speakers.
* I have a MythTv/Music NFS share computer.

I am thinking about a system trying to get good stereo imaging. (I miss my now dead Quad ESL 57's again a 50 Pound bargain 15 years ago) and some thing that sounds natural. I remember I once had a pair of 2 way Castle speakers (A 25 Pound bargain) that had good imagining, which I put down to well matched small drivers. to my ears these where better than the Linn speakers until the Castle bass units foamed surrounds rotted away.

Bass is some thing I like, but realistic mids and stereo imaging are my priority. Bass is later more costly experiment, as my last experiment (15 years back) in motional feedback (infrared based sensor) led me to conclude that was a good plan until the speakers blew up when I hooked the feedback up the wrong way.

Im not tempted to spend more than 100 Euros per speaker, for the midrange and treble, as I am sure one day I will get a pair of electrostatic speakers again (waiting for the next bargain) but then I have owned only speakers new to me not the world, with the exception of a rather nice Bass reflex system (which only had bass to about 120Hz) I built for about 50 pounds the pair about 20 years ago and gave away about 15 years ago.

Thanks HM for the great picture.

Thanks Chris661 for the suggestion of partnering them with a woofer, Im glad the speakers are working out or you.

Thanks Scottmoose for the suggested alternative drivers. Do you have speakers built with all of these drive units? now I looked at the Alpair 6 the CHR-70 also seems tempting.

The FRS8M has rated power of 30 W compares to the FF85K 5W rated power while both have 88dB sensitivity. suggesting a good 6db of volume.

94db Maximum volume for the FF85K is a bit of an issue I would guess, while the 100dB Max volume for the FRS8M is more than I should need.

The Alpair 6 is very tempting I did not know about this one (or had looked at this company), most attractive is seems to come in matched pairs and its frequency response seems to be exceptional. At 85dB and 15 W makes 97dB seems to be loud enough. The CHR-70 by the same maker also looks very interesting with its price point.

As for cost, well FRS8M at 20 Euros a pair as opposed to 150 Euro's for the Alpair 6, I guess thats all I can tell without hearing them all in nice boxes.

Thanks all again.

Alpair 6 or CHR-70 might suit me better, but other might have different budgets.

Thanks HM for the great picture.

Thanks Chris661 for the suggestion of partnering them with a woofer, Im glad the speakers are working out or you.

Thanks Scottmoose for the suggested alternative drivers. Do you have speakers built with all of these drive units? now I looked at the Alpair 6 the CHR-70 also seems tempting.

The FRS8M has rated power of 30 W compares to the FF85K 5W rated power while both have 88dB sensitivity. suggesting a good 6db of volume.

94db Maximum volume for the FF85K is a bit of an issue I would guess, while the 100dB Max volume for the FRS8M is more than I should need.

The Alpair 6 is very tempting I did not know about this one (or had looked at this company), most attractive is seems to come in matched pairs and its frequency response seems to be exceptional. At 85dB and 15 W makes 97dB seems to be loud enough. The CHR-70 by the same maker also looks very interesting with its price point.

As for cost, well FRS8M at 20 Euros a pair as opposed to 150 Euro's for the Alpair 6, I guess thats all I can tell without hearing them all in nice boxes.

Thanks all again.

[URL="http://http://www.hm-moreart.de/89.htm"]FRS8M measurements[/URL]

owenhamburg, do you see the measurements on my HP,

No I didn't read your measurements on the FRS8M in your budget Horn , but now I have read them they are very interesting. Thats quiet a system for a low cost.

I testet both FF85 and FRS8M, fullrange with good sound only ~92 dB max, the best 3" was for me the omnes Audio

I just looked these up. I could not find much manufacturing data on these, or be certain which model you used, as I think they have two 3" models.

Your home page is quiet a resource, thanks for putting it on line :)

I realized this full range magnetic speakers could easily get expensive, though after reading independent measurements of Alpair Drivers (in a German Magazine) in my poor German, I would probably want to partner them with a ribbon/soft dome tweeter cross over at 5Khz, which makes me more inclined to a pair of the cheaper Mark Audio or the venerable the Fostex FE126En.

Or alternatively rather than sacrifice the power handling for the high frequencies, a omnes Audio BB3.01 does look very good, and very affordable. As a coaxial it may stereo image very well if consistency is high.

i like but only 4 Ohm.

8 Ohms would suit my amplifiers better, Why do you prefer the 4 Ohm?

I realized this full range magnetic speakers could easily get expensive, though after reading independent measurements of Alpair Drivers (in a German Magazine) in my poor German, I would probably want to partner them with a ribbon/soft dome tweeter cross over at 5Khz, which makes me more inclined to a pair of the cheaper Mark Audio or the venerable the Fostex FE126En.

Hmmm...

I've had them for a while, but they require no help in the treble.
The 30W thermal rating is no indicator of max SPL. They go into cone break-up much earlier, suggesting some kind of cone treatment would be of use.
I'm getting my hands on some CHR-70 speakers, by Mark Audio. I demoed them and liked.

Chris

I would probably want to partner them with a ribbon/soft dome tweeter cross over at 5Khz

Why on Earth would you want to low pass any of the Alpairs at 5KHz? :scratch1: They're amongst the best performers in the HF of any wide-band / FR drivers (& a step above the already v. good CHR).

8 Ohms would suit my amplifiers better, Why do you prefer the 4 Ohm?

He doesn't. He said he likes it, but it's only a 4ohm driver.

Last edited:
Decided to go wild and go ESL anyway.

Dear all,

I decided to go wild and go for a reconditioned Quad ESL 63.

To answer this question,

Why on Earth would you want to low pass any of the Alpairs at 5KHz? :scratch1: They're amongst the best performers in the HF of any wide-band / FR drivers (& a step above the already v. good CHR).

I was rather shocked when I read the independent review in a German Hifi mag on quiet how extreme the 11 KHz cone break resonances where.

Regards

Owen

Dear all,

I decided to go wild and go for a reconditioned Quad ESL 63.

To answer this question,

I was rather shocked when I read the independent review in a German Hifi mag on quiet how extreme the 11 KHz cone break resonances where.

Regards

Owen

In respect to your above noted acquisition, the relative merits of under $100 pair of FR drivers is probably moot, but have you actually heard any of the Mark Audio or for that matter Fostex FF85K?

Scott and many other posters on the FR forum certainly have; in the case of the Alpair 5 /6 and FF85K, IMHO regardless of any measurements, XO at around 5kHz is cutting them off at the wrong end of the spectrum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.