Visaton FRS8M 30 Watt 88 dB any good? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2010, 07:56 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks HM for the great picture.

Thanks Chris661 for the suggestion of partnering them with a woofer, Im glad the speakers are working out or you.

Thanks Scottmoose for the suggested alternative drivers. Do you have speakers built with all of these drive units? now I looked at the Alpair 6 the CHR-70 also seems tempting.

The FRS8M has rated power of 30 W compares to the FF85K 5W rated power while both have 88dB sensitivity. suggesting a good 6db of volume.

94db Maximum volume for the FF85K is a bit of an issue I would guess, while the 100dB Max volume for the FRS8M is more than I should need.

The Alpair 6 is very tempting I did not know about this one (or had looked at this company), most attractive is seems to come in matched pairs and its frequency response seems to be exceptional. At 85dB and 15 W makes 97dB seems to be loud enough. The CHR-70 by the same maker also looks very interesting with its price point.

As for cost, well FRS8M at 20 Euros a pair as opposed to 150 Euro's for the Alpair 6, I guess thats all I can tell without hearing them all in nice boxes.

Thanks all again.
Old 10th January 2010, 07:58 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 6 or CHR-70 might suit me better, but other might have different budgets.

Thanks HM for the great picture.

Thanks Chris661 for the suggestion of partnering them with a woofer, Im glad the speakers are working out or you.

Thanks Scottmoose for the suggested alternative drivers. Do you have speakers built with all of these drive units? now I looked at the Alpair 6 the CHR-70 also seems tempting.

The FRS8M has rated power of 30 W compares to the FF85K 5W rated power while both have 88dB sensitivity. suggesting a good 6db of volume.

94db Maximum volume for the FF85K is a bit of an issue I would guess, while the 100dB Max volume for the FRS8M is more than I should need.

The Alpair 6 is very tempting I did not know about this one (or had looked at this company), most attractive is seems to come in matched pairs and its frequency response seems to be exceptional. At 85dB and 15 W makes 97dB seems to be loud enough. The CHR-70 by the same maker also looks very interesting with its price point.

As for cost, well FRS8M at 20 Euros a pair as opposed to 150 Euro's for the Alpair 6, I guess thats all I can tell without hearing them all in nice boxes.

Thanks all again.
Old 10th January 2010, 08:12 PM   #13
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

owenhamburg,
do you see the measurements on my HP,

the electric power has nothing to do with the
mechanic power.
I testet both FF85 and FRS8M, fullrange with good sound
only ~92 dB max, the best 3" was for me the omnes Audio

wenn du aus Hamburg bist ruf mich doch mal an.
Old 10th January 2010, 10:18 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default [URL="http://http://www.hm-moreart.de/89.htm"]FRS8M measurements[/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hm View Post
owenhamburg, do you see the measurements on my HP,
No I didn't read your measurements on the FRS8M in your budget Horn , but now I have read them they are very interesting. Thats quiet a system for a low cost.

Quote:
I testet both FF85 and FRS8M, fullrange with good sound only ~92 dB max, the best 3" was for me the omnes Audio
I just looked these up. I could not find much manufacturing data on these, or be certain which model you used, as I think they have two 3" models.

Your home page is quiet a resource, thanks for putting it on line
Old 11th January 2010, 07:49 AM   #15
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hello,
thanks owen.

the omnes Audio BB3.01 i like but only 4 Ohm.
Old 17th April 2010, 03:20 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I realized this full range magnetic speakers could easily get expensive, though after reading independent measurements of Alpair Drivers (in a German Magazine) in my poor German, I would probably want to partner them with a ribbon/soft dome tweeter cross over at 5Khz, which makes me more inclined to a pair of the cheaper Mark Audio or the venerable the Fostex FE126En.

Or alternatively rather than sacrifice the power handling for the high frequencies, a omnes Audio BB3.01 does look very good, and very affordable. As a coaxial it may stereo image very well if consistency is high.

Quote:
i like but only 4 Ohm.
8 Ohms would suit my amplifiers better, Why do you prefer the 4 Ohm?
Old 17th April 2010, 03:17 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhamburg View Post
I realized this full range magnetic speakers could easily get expensive, though after reading independent measurements of Alpair Drivers (in a German Magazine) in my poor German, I would probably want to partner them with a ribbon/soft dome tweeter cross over at 5Khz, which makes me more inclined to a pair of the cheaper Mark Audio or the venerable the Fostex FE126En.
Hmmm...

I've had them for a while, but they require no help in the treble.
The 30W thermal rating is no indicator of max SPL. They go into cone break-up much earlier, suggesting some kind of cone treatment would be of use.
I'm getting my hands on some CHR-70 speakers, by Mark Audio. I demoed them and liked.

Chris
Old 17th April 2010, 03:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I would probably want to partner them with a ribbon/soft dome tweeter cross over at 5Khz
Why on Earth would you want to low pass any of the Alpairs at 5KHz? They're amongst the best performers in the HF of any wide-band / FR drivers (& a step above the already v. good CHR).

Quote:
8 Ohms would suit my amplifiers better, Why do you prefer the 4 Ohm?
He doesn't. He said he likes it, but it's only a 4ohm driver.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 17th April 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 14th May 2010, 05:04 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default Decided to go wild and go ESL anyway.

Dear all,

I decided to go wild and go for a reconditioned Quad ESL 63.

To answer this question,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Why on Earth would you want to low pass any of the Alpairs at 5KHz? They're amongst the best performers in the HF of any wide-band / FR drivers (& a step above the already v. good CHR).
I was rather shocked when I read the independent review in a German Hifi mag on quiet how extreme the 11 KHz cone break resonances where.

Regards

Owen
Old 14th May 2010, 05:27 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhamburg View Post
Dear all,

I decided to go wild and go for a reconditioned Quad ESL 63.

To answer this question,

I was rather shocked when I read the independent review in a German Hifi mag on quiet how extreme the 11 KHz cone break resonances where.

Regards

Owen

In respect to your above noted acquisition, the relative merits of under $100 pair of FR drivers is probably moot, but have you actually heard any of the Mark Audio or for that matter Fostex FF85K?

Scott and many other posters on the FR forum certainly have; in the case of the Alpair 5 /6 and FF85K, IMHO regardless of any measurements, XO at around 5kHz is cutting them off at the wrong end of the spectrum.

Hide this!Advertise here!