New Lotus project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2010, 06:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Lotus project

Finally got around to start building a pair of these for the CHR70 I purchased a few months back. I'm building the single driver versions in each cabinet and have my daughter helping me. Or maybe I'm helping her... She will take them with her when she goes back to college.

The sides are 11 ply 3/4 in wood from Lowes and appears to be void free and chamber, bottoms, tops and back are a red oak plywood that I had left over from another project. Local supplier for BB has closed their doors.

Economy has not been kind to smaller lumber companies

What do I use for lining and which sides do I put it on?
What is best way to stabilize each speaker, sand or outriggers?

Thanks, I'll probably have more questions as I get further into project.
Old 7th January 2010, 06:49 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Bruce,

I think that the sand in the bottom really helps. That's how I did mine and I've not had a problem with them tipping. I've been thinking about a small base for the Coniston cabinets since they are a a little higher. Maybe you could do something similar? Not sure how much it would change anything.

PS: What was the lumber place that closed down?
Old 7th January 2010, 08:08 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Line as you would a bass reflex.

Minimally this means 3 faces of the inside of the chamber (ie top baffle 1 side) with 1 - 1.5" fiberglass. I line all sides with 1/2" recycled cotton felt. From there you can play with more lining or poly fluff stuffing.

Whatever you do, do not block the ports.

dave
Old 8th January 2010, 03:28 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dave, are you talking about the pink fiberglass sold in rolls or something else?

Been gluing parts tonight. It's looking good and trying some different stains. My girl likes that grey stain that Ian444 put on his build.

I'm also thinking about receiver or amp to use. She will source from a turntable or Macbook. I probably will give her my Sonic T to use but been looking at older "vintage" receivers that can drive these 4ohm speakers.

Steven, Waxahachie Building Supply, Bought all the lumber from them to build my house 5 years ago.
Old 8th January 2010, 05:56 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeddler View Post
are you talking about the pink fiberglass sold in rolls or something else?
That works. The stuff that comes out of old speakers is usually yellow. I think i saw some green stuff at HD. If you can't source the 1/2" cotton felt.

dave
Old 9th January 2010, 01:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

All glued up except for one side. Drivers are in, running with macbook and
t- amp in garage and going to let them break in overnight and then put in stuffing and finish them up over next couple of days.

Sound is pretty good as I listen to them to now in garage.

Got that Canadian weather blowing in and it's freezing here in Tejas, I used to live in Chicago area not used to it anymore.
Old 9th January 2010, 03:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

How about a couple of pics...mocked up and breaking them in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chamber.jpg (75.0 KB, 965 views)
File Type: jpg mockedup.jpg (91.4 KB, 954 views)
File Type: jpg breakingin.jpg (130.0 KB, 952 views)
Old 9th January 2010, 07:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Very nice!
Old 9th February 2010, 04:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Finally finished these up before I sent them with my daughter back to college. They sound great sourced from my G5 to T-amp in my office.

She has a laptop and turntable so I found a mid 70's Sansui receiver for her for $50 to use that is able to handle driver impedance. It's a good way to go if anyone is worried about buying these speakers and also has a need for multiple source inputs. I think it may be all of 20 watts which is plenty loud.

It was a fun build with my kid and a little more complicated that the TABAQ I did last year.

For you astute viewers out there wondering if they lean a bit...you are correct. My woodworking skills are poor but the sound is terrific, and until they look as good as Axioms in pic all builds will be relegated to my office, garage or kids rooms.

So,next time.... Measure 3 times not twice, cut all width dimensions on table saw at same time cause if you are a 1/16 in off, at least they are all the same and will glue up easier. I also need to buy more clamps and pick up a radial arm saw for length cuts.

They are built to spec and Dave, if you are wondering, they are braced and have about and inch of pink fiberglass on 3 sides of chamber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lotus.jpg (77.2 KB, 860 views)
Old 9th February 2010, 07:59 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by repeddler View Post
They are built to spec and Dave, if you are wondering, they are braced and have about and inch of pink fiberglass on 3 sides of chamber.

Maybe if we keep at him, we'll embarass Steven into putting in the brace.

Sansui 331?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!