JBL 4530 Scoop... Driver specs / usable for Hifi ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear fellow audio-addicts,

First of all I would like to wish you all good tones for 2010 !

I have a question, regarding the good 'ol JBL 4530 scoop.

Does anybody know the driver T/S requirements for this enclosure ?
And is it usable as a Hifi-enclosure using a coaxial driver ?

I have got a pair of EV15TRX tri-axials and am looking for an enclosure design.

I know most people would suggest a Karlson K15 since Mr. John Karlson used
a TRX in his original design, but I'd like to try something different.

How low would you suspect a JBL 4530 horn go ?

I've tried to measure the EV15TRX's as best as I could,
and got to a Fs of 25, a Qts of 0,2, and a Vas of around 450Ltr

Hope to recieve some usable input,
Thanks in advance !

Cheers,

Empee

Hi Thomas,

Yes I've searched and read, and that thread specifically I do not understand the comparisson between BassReflex and Horn.... Apples & oranges if you ask me.

Anyway; there's no real data reg. drivers specs,
nor the hifi-useability of a scoop !

I was hoping someone here at DIYAudio.com had some experience in the usage of scoops-with-coaxials for HiFi... ?

Cheers,

Empee

Reviving an old thread.

I suggest you check the T/S parameters for the JBL 2205h (Fs 30Hz) and its replacement, the 2225h, as both were the spec drivers for the 4530. But be aware that this enclosure is tuned for 40Hz and will shine in its kick drum and tight bass. If you want to go deep, then you should look at the 4520. Its volume, even if used as a single woofer, is considerably higher than the 4530, and its design is meant to work at lower frequencies.

I have a set of 4530s at home, with 2225h drivers. If you want to go deep, then you have to equalize 3 to 5 db more around 30Hz, and then you realize you are loosing SPL because of the increased cone excursion. I will do tests with a spare 2235h, which has an Fs of 20Hz and is designed to go deeper, even though he enclosure is not designed for that...

I was hoping someone here at DIYAudio.com had some experience in the usage of scoops-with-coaxials for HiFi... ?

PA hardware is designed to soud loud. 4530s are PA bins. No, they don't have the usual delicate Hi-FI sound. I personnally have other tri-amped speakers for that. But I still love the 4530s when I need raw physical sound. That's what the Altec or big Tannoy crowd, as well as musicians, like.

You are 100% correct. The larger room will have tendency to allow bass to "expand" and upper bass frequencies to smoothen out.

BTW I was a DJ in the very early eighties, so I had to have a set of 4530s at home to play along with my Technics SL1100a and Yamaha P2200 ;-)

Last edited:
While subject is hot, let's beat it. I am currently working on damping the interior of the cabinets as it seems there's a lot of reverberation in the horn from perhaps 90Hz to 150Hz. The first chamber is currently dampened with foam. I may lay some mineral wool instead (I hate mineral wool). Also I want to dampen the two facing walls at the back as well as the roof, just before the curved slide.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.